Friday, March 17, 2006

This Blog is One Year Old

Happy Blogiversary to me! Today marks one year since I started Maspik Teruzim. These past 12 months have encompassed the greatest health and fitness change I have ever made in my life, and I can't wait to see what the next 12 months bring. Thank you to everyone who dropped by, read, commented or e-mailed, and a special mention to Scott, Liz and Marla.

Ok, enough celebrating. Back to work. :-) Gym last night was great, despite the nutritionally average day that preceded it. It is not the first time that I've had a great gym session on the heels of a lousy nutrition day. I wonder if it is because I am channelling my anger at myself into the exercises, and I am that much more focused. Not that I plan on making it a habit, obviously.

The new program is the same general format as the previous one. Four exercises per session, the first two supersetted with ab work, the last two supersetted with a minute of high intensity cardio. Six sets per exercise as follows:
Warm up:
1 x 6 @ 50% of max
1 x 6 @ 80% of max
Work:
Work sets are at 10 reps, and decrease to 8, 7 and 6 reps on subsequent microcycles.
1 x 10 @ max
2 x 10 @ whatever man-in-charge tells you to drop the weight down to depending on how your form was on the previous set.
Cool down:
1 x 12 @ 50% of max at a 1-0-5-0 tempo

Last night was the new Day I: Chest. Started with flat bench press and moved on to decline bench press. This is the first time I've done decline work, and it was more comfortable than I expected. After this I did db incline presses, but mine look a bit different than the ones in the link. They have a bit of a twist at the end. I finished off with tricep bar incline tricep extension, or more simply put, a skull crusher done on an incline.

Today was the new Day II: Back. The first exercise was a feeble attempt at failed embryonic pullups. I managed approximately an inch of upward movement, which is better than hanging there like wet laundry. Also, the left side went up higher than the right side. My right tricep and right lateral deltoid were not cooperating with the general pull up efforts. I was very excited about finally making the attempts and so I may possibly perhaps have pushed things a little harder than I should have (ahem). My right arm is still sore, but I hope (she said blithely) that it will all be ok by morning.

I think that it is fitting that I am trying these for the first time on my blogiversary. After the first set I told the guy-in-charge that I will do these before I leave Israel this summer. Add "pull ups by July" to my list of goals. This is exactly the motivation I needed to get my nutrition back on track. I think dropping another 10-12lbs and getting to 130 lbs or so should help the pull up effort, so weight loss is back on the agenda.

After the embryonic pullups I did two types of lat pulldowns. First, wide grip lat pulldowns, palms facing away from me, head back, bar down to chin. Second, lat pull downs to chest, palms facing each other. I didn't realise how much energy I had expended during the miniscule pullup attempts until I got to lat pulldowns and could only do a max of 35Kg. I've done 50Kg for reps on these, so I was working hard, even if I wasn't moving much... :-) The last exercise of the day was cable wrist curls. It is fascinating how intricate one's forearm is.

Looks like a Nalgene bottle is coming my way. My newly-engaged friend K saw me drinking cola in school the other day and raised an eyebrow. I acknowledged that this was not like me, and told her about the bottle I lost in Atlanta. She said that she has an extra bottle; her brother came to visit and left his here, and by the time she found it he had already bought himself another one. So I am welcome to his old bottle. Sometimes the universe just smiles.

4 Comments:

At 2:47 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Congrats on the blogiversary. Pullups are wonderful things, and they certainly hit quite a few muscle groups. I'm not surprised that you felt a bit drained when moving on to the pulldowns.

Warning - they're quite addictive. Once you can do them comfortably on a bar, you'll be eyeing off doorways everywhere :)

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Hey, congratulations on your one-year blogiversary! And especially on the one-inch pullup. I remember back in school they'd have the girls do the kind where you just cling onto the bar with your chin above it, and see how long you could stay there. For me: less than a millionth of a second. And yet weirdly I could do ONE regular pullup. But girls weren't "allowed" to do those, so I always got an "F" in that part. Yes, I'm still bitter about it 30 years later!!

 
At 10:27 PM , Blogger chaos said...

Congrats on the anniversary, decline work (maybe I'll try it too), and pull up work. I've gotten a lot out of your blog this year. I'm looking forward to another. Liz

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger Steph said...

Now there's a very modern social thing, and a very happy blogiversary to you, or could it be a blirthday :).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home