Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sunday and Monday

My regular Sunday evening appointment was cancelled so I went in to train Sunday night. The exercises for Day III are Lying Cable Rows, Upright Rows, Squats and Lunges. The squats are supersetted with a minute of non-stop as-many-as-possible bicycle crunches, and the lunges are supersetted with a minute of scissor crunches (like the bicycles, except you keep your legs straight). By the second set of lunges my legs felt incredibly heavy and I was fighting for every one of these scissor things.

I recently re-read Eric Cressy's article about Debunking Exercise Myths II. He's not fond of upright rows (see Adage #9). I don't intend to get rid of them, but as a result of reading the article I started paying a lot more attention to the path of the bar and making sure I don't bring it closer to my body to try and move more weight.

Yesterday after school I went to the Machane Yehuda market and stocked up on peppers - red, orange, green. I also got artichokes, which I intend to boil tonight, and Granny Smith apples. After putting everything away I went to the gym a little earlier than usual. Day IV is bb bicep curls, lying cable curls, deadlifts and hamstring curls. Between sets of deads there's a minute of interval cardio that consists of rapid shuffling forwards and backwards over a very low step. Between ham curls the drill is sideways shuffling. Let's just say that if you were not aware of your abductors and adductors before doing these shuffles, you'll be very aware of them the day after doing the shuffles.

My right arm is still sore, but it hasn't been an issue in any of the exercises thus far. The only pain I've felt has been when reaching for a falling book in attempt to catch it before it hit the ground.

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM , Blogger Scott said...

Those Cressey articles are good. I ended up ditching the upright rows a while ago, not because of the various negative opinions out there, but simply as there seem to be more effective ways to work the same muscle groups.

I know you're still doing plenty of deadlifting; is there much shoulder work in your new routine?

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Not direct shoulder work, but it looks like there will be rotator cuff work on a regular basis from now on...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home