Friday, March 10, 2006

Slow

Last night was my first gym session since I landed. It was a very light workout: four exercises, three sets each at 50%-60%. This morning I went in to do a more serious session, Day I of my normal program, but at about 80% of the weight and only four sets per exercise (50%, 80%, max, 50%). So, not the full workout quite yet. I'm going to be building up to that over the next few days (modified Day II on Sunday, III on Monday, IV on Tuesday). Then on Wednesday I'm going to start a new program, which I hope will look like the old program with a couple of minor modifications. I'm not impatient - the last thing I need is some stupid injury to derail my last few months in Jerusalem. I would like to incorporate pullups now, even if they will be assisted for a few more months, and do them unassisted before I leave here (them=at least two).

During the Toronto part of my trip I saw a lot of friends and family whom I haven't seen for a year or more. Their reactions were varied. My oldest friends just told me I looked happy, and made no mention of the size change. Other people told me I looked like half a person. More than one told me that I didn't need to lose any more weight. A number of older members of my extended family asked me what I did or what Diet (it's always said with a capital D, isn't it?) I was on. When I said that all I do is lift heavy weights 5-6 days a week and eat 5-6 meals a day they instantly lost interest.

On Wednesday I had a meeting with my academic advisor at the University. She told me that it was remarkable how much I had changed since the first time she met me a year and a half ago. She said I look smaller every time we meet. To her credit, she did not change the conversation when I told her what I was doing. She did ask me how I find the time to go to the gym 5 days a week, and I told her I don't watch tv, I limit social engagements, and I don't cook anything more complex than a 6x1 omelette. She also was surprised when I told her the project was not finished. She didn't think I had any more weight to lose either. Out of the blue, I asked her how much she thought I weighed. She said 55Kg, and was stunned when I told her it was more like 65Kg (143 lbs). Gad I love what lifting does to one's body. :-) And it is not about the suitcase full of new clothes (yay Target). I taught all my classes moving around and never sitting down, and felt incredibly energetic all the while.

So I have approximately four months left in Israel. If all goes according to plan, I will leave in late July or early August to work in a Jewish Day School somewhere in North America. Don't know where yet, but wherever it is, there will be a gym with a squat rack nearby. :-)

3 Comments:

At 5:31 PM , Blogger Scott said...

It'll probably take a week or so to really get back into the swing of things (at max weights anyway). What are the minor mods in the new program?

 
At 8:48 PM , Blogger The Mighty Kat said...

Hi there, you left a comment on my blog recommending Ruth Brown and Judy Henske. Thank you! I had not heard these names. I will track them down. Sorry for the delayed response; I only just realized I had comments pending approval for publishing. Anyway, looks like you are pushing forward in your lifting goals like a real warrior. Go grrl!

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger chaos said...

Wow, great work Mich! Sounds like you've got a lot of positive feedback, even if you couldn't offer people a Diet (and that should so be capitalized).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home