Thursday, March 16, 2006

Out with the Old

The old program is over. I did my last day III on Tuesday night and the last day IV yesterday night. The new program has already been written; it was filed with the old program, so I looked it over before I left last night. I don't remember all of it: bench and squats and deads are still there and there's something at the pullup bar. The program has little drawings rather than exercise names or descriptions, so I'm not sure yet what the something is. I'm be starting tonight with Day I, which is still Chest. I think that incline bench has been replaced by decline bench. I haven't done these before so it should be interesting.

I spent most of my holiday on school work. I have to read Soloveitchik's Halakhic Man and Taylor's A Catholic Modernity by Friday, and I also have a number of other assignments. Yesterday afternoon I took a break and went walking downtown. Despite the terror warnings which we have before every holiday, the Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall was packed with revellers, many in costume, and it was wonderful to see. I went to the mall to have a very late lunch with my classmates K and E, as well as K's fiance H. K & H are an adorable couple. They are getting married in August.

Nutrition and hydration took a dip over Purim. First, I lost my Nalgene bottle in Atlanta and didn't buy a new one before I came back here. As far as I know you can't get these in Israel. I hadn't realised how important this bottle has become in my water consumption. Second, as a result of staying in other people's houses during my trip, I started drinking soft drinks again. (No, I'm not blaming anyone except me. Obviously no one held me down and poured carbonated sugar water down my throat.) However, now that I'm back in my normal environment I need to kick this stupid habit all over again. Today was the worst. I think I had close to a litre of cola in small increments between 1:30pm and 4:00pm. Third, I was doing so well re-gifting or throwing out the junk I received, and then a friend of flatmate #2 who stays over at the apartment quite frequently decided to give us a gift to show her appreciation for our hosting. This gift consisted of two types of cookies, a basket of dried fruit and a bouquet of flowers, all left on our dining room table. I've had three cookies thus far, and while they are very intense, high quality chocolate cookies from a small and pricey bakery, they are not conducive to me doing a pull up this year... The annoying thing is that since they are not exclusively mine, I can't throw them out or re-gift them. Maybe I'll suggest to flatmate #1 and #2 that these cookies are so special they really should be shared with their friends and family. :-)

Personally, I've stopped giving junk food as gifts. I prefer cds, books, flowers... or food gifts such as a bottle of high quality olive oil or a basket of organic fruit. The exception is when the recipient has made it clear that there's a specific type of food they would love to receive (like these).

And while I'm on the subject of focus and motivation, I like this story about US Secretary of State Rice. (via Stumpblog)

2 Comments:

At 10:33 PM , Blogger chaos said...

I saw this story too--but important to note that CNN did a follow-up story on Laura Bush. Bush walks and does NOT lift heavy weight but only 3-5 pounds. So I liked Rice's focus on iron but then that message seemed challenged by Bush's regime. Liz

 
At 10:33 PM , Blogger chaos said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home