Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Gyms in Jerusalem

Alan's comment on the Jetlagged post made me realise that I should create a post about the gym possibilities in this city. Other people might be visiting looking for a gym, and several gyms now have web sites. Caveat emptor, obviously: I haven't been to all of these, and for the ones I have been to, I don't think the web sites do a great job of showing off the actual gym. Moral of the story: if you are interested in any of these, go check them out for yourself. If you know of a Jerusalem gym I haven't listed here, send me an e-mail with their url and I'll update the post.

  • Iron Gym (formerly Yarim) This is the one I go to. Serious coaching, nice people, and no attitude.

  • Giraffe has no web site yet. It opened two weeks ago on Luntz Street in the middle of the Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall. I stopped by today just to see what their weights area was like. There is a squat rack. The equipment is by Matrix, and the weight plates have handles, which made me smile.

  • Jump Recently renovated, large, with lots of equipment. Last I checked they had a squat rack tucked away in the corner of their free weights area. The sales pressure was intense. An annoying sales guy called me at least five times, even though I told him that I would call him if I was interested. Mind you, this was over a year ago, so he might be gone by now.

  • BodyLine

  • I saw the ads for Kosher Gym on an outdoor billboard. Since they cater to the ultra-Orthodox market, they have separate hours for men and women. Their martial arts classes (capoeira, tkd, etc.) are for men only, and they have pilates and "toning" classes for women.

  • Great Shape / YMCA

10 Comments:

At 5:55 AM , Blogger Scott said...

That's not a bad idea, listing local gyms - might do a list of gyms around here. Although I suspect Jerusalem gets a much greater influx of visitors than a sleepy part of Glasgow :)

 
At 5:43 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Scott, go for it. Somewhere there is a frustrated traveller googling furiously for "gyms in Glasgow" and wishing she could find something with a power cage. This is the sort of info that tourist offices never cover, so it's the perfect place for regular folks to step in.

 
At 8:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new in Jerusalem and looking for a beginners capoeira class in town. If you know of a yoga studio in the area, I'm trying to find one of those too... could you add some of those centers too?

 
At 8:14 AM , Blogger Mordechai said...

Jump

Consists of several rooms, large aerobic area with many treadmills and machines. The weights are pathetic disorganized and old. The is poorly organized and is staffed by unknowledgable israeli trained trainers who have no concept of hardcore training. I' trained at Jump for 6 months.

The gym contains several machines one for each body part. A pully cable for flys/curls. The weights are disorganized and will take you longer to find the matching dumbell then to do your set.

Most patrons are either secular israelis with a number of frum yeshivish kids from the near by area.

If you live near Tachana Mercazit its your best bet unfortuantely its not the greatest gym. The showers are nice :) always had warm water.

BodyLine.
I train there now its clean gym with everything you need lots of machines, however their stacked close together. There is a pulley/cables dumbells are available the weights go up to 110lb or so. Weights are generally organized. Patrons range from girls doing aerobics to teenagers, and 9-5'ers. There are a few "gym rats" who are seroius but all in all its no Iron Dungeon. Hope this helps you fellow lifters' out.

Remember if its b'tul Torah...B'tul Iron...then its B'tul O2

 
At 7:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm looking for a good boxing studio in Jerusalem. Does one exist?
Neil

 
At 11:43 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Neil,
Call up Iron Gym on Keren Hayesod St. (Their web site seems to have disappeared.) Yan's the boxing coach, and while the gym does not have a ring, there was a small and dedicated group of guys who would come in to train with him on Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings. If Yan's classes are no longer offered, ask for Misha. If there's a good boxing studio in Jerusalem he would know.

 
At 11:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Shape at YMCA has 9 Yoga classes per week...some arefor women only the rest mixed. Excellent teachers. Web site greatshape.co.il

 
At 6:19 AM , Blogger SARA said...

I am looking for a gym near Beitar Illit. Do you know of any in the area of Gush Etzion, Gilo, Bet Shemesh?
E-mail at sarafayge@aol.com
Thanks,
Sara

 
At 11:29 AM , Anonymous melissa said...

I'm looking for a gym in Rechevia. Any suggestions?

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Melissa, look at Iron Gym (link above). They are right on Keren Hayesod St. I lived in Rechavia/Talbiya when I trained there and it was walking distance for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home