Sunday, February 05, 2006

Landed

Arrived in Atlanta on Friday and only got slightly lost on the way to my host family's house. Said family is very nice, by the way, and they have an adorable dog. If it's ok with them I'll post a pic of the dog here at some point.

Gym woes: The cool powerlifting place I was hoping for is more than 30 minutes away by car, and since I have to share a rental car with my fellow students, it is unlikely that I will get there. So today I went to check out a nearby gym. It's about ten times the size of the gym back in Jerusalem. It's full of shiny Cybex machines, but the free weights section is a bit run-down. The people at the desk were extremely nice, however. (Everyone I've met thus far in Atlanta has been extremely nice, actually.) Truth is, I've been spoiled by my gym in Jerusalem. When you're used to seeing guys squatting 300lbs+ with great form and no gear, it's hilarious to see guys putting on a weight belt for triceps pressdowns...

5 Comments:

At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

Welcome to the US. You're about 4 hours East of where I grew up.

Don't despair over Cybex. Remember it's all resistance training.

 
At 12:35 AM , Blogger john yeo said...

dont listen to his evil bodybuilding ways :D

 
At 8:16 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Bud - Thanks; glad to be here. I just wish that when a gym puts in Cybex (or other) shiny new machines it wouldn't use that as an excuse to neglect the free weight section.

John - No chance of that. I circled the Cybex stuff a couple of times and decided to keep a minimum safe distance. :-)

 
At 9:38 PM , Anonymous Bud Gibson said...

BTW, I'm assuming you've done something similar to this Google local search:

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=gym&near=Atlanta,+GA

Gold's will have more free weights and be relatively inexpensive to join.

 
At 10:42 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

Would it be feasible/worthwhile to rent a car to get to whatever gym you want?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home