Monday, February 06, 2006

Food Challenges

Some of the posts this week are going to sound whiny. They really are not. They are observations of what is going on, and how I am dealing with the curveballs that student teaching is throwing to my exercise and nutrition habits.

My shoulders and upper back are sore from Sunday's workout. The seated row machine is at a different height than I am used to and cannot be adjusted. In addition, both it and the lat pulldown machine jumps in 10lb increments, and unlike the machine in Jerusalem there is no place to put a db on top of the weight stack and thereby increase the weight in sane increments.

It was raining incessantly all day, a sharp contrast from the lovely sunshine I encountered on Friday when I arrived. No gym today, but I did go to the grocery store and stocked up on old fashioned oatmeal and some pop top canned veggies to take with me to school tomorrow.

Nutrition is shaping up to be more of a challenge than expected. The mentor teacher (whom I met today) does not allow the students to eat or drink in class. She actually said something along the line of "I don't believe in this business where you hydrate yourself all day and then have to go to the bathroom a lot". (With that attitude, is it any wonder that teachers are prime candidates for kidney stones?) For the record, when I start teaching I will let my students drink water and eat fruit, veggies or a sandwich in class. I don't want to see my students eating junk food in my classes, and I certainly am never going to eat it in front of them. They are going to see me eating clean, and any student who wants to eat healthy food six times a day and needs to have one of those clean meals in my class, more power to him/her.

Anyway, since the students can't eat or drink in class, neither can the visiting student teachers. I normally drink 3.5+ litres of water a day, and today I barely managed one. Tomorrow I will be observing other classes beside that of the mentor teacher, and I plan to take in more food. I think I may have to sit down with mentor teacher and explain that I require healthy food 5+ times each day, and I am perfectly happy to step out of class, eat it quickly and come back, but that not eating for long stretches is not acceptable. I came here to improve my teaching skills, not to screw up my nutritional plan.

4 Comments:

At 10:40 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

And if necessary, your sister will give 'er WOT FOR!
Hurray for you!

 
At 7:19 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

Wow, that teacher's a nut. Now that you're in the U.S., remember you can sue everyone!

 
At 10:45 AM , Blogger Mich said...

For the record, she's an excellent teacher and a superb mentor, so this stance on eating & drinking took me by surprise. In any case, the students can eat & drink in other classes, and so can I. Food has been good yesterday and today.

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger chaos said...

Mich, welcome to the states and congrats on finishing your exams!I went through a similar problem when teaching this summer. I found no solution, I was pertually dehydrated. I did agressively drink in the morning and evening, however. Liz

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home