Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Two Days Down

There was a Chest-Triceps-Shoulders workout Sunday evening. Started inauspiciously on the bench press because my technique seemed to disappear; chest was not up, elbows were not in. Got through it, and the push up sets that followed were good. The highlight of the evening was the skull crushers.
6 x 12.5 Kg / 27.6 lbs
6 x 17.5 Kg / 38.6 lbs
8 x 22.5 Kg / 49.6 lbs
8 x 17.5 Kg / 38.6 lbs
8 x 15 Kg / 33 lbs
12 12.5 Kg/ 27.6 lbs
The warm-up sets on felt very heavy, and I had serious doubts that I would finish the third set. But once I started it I decided that I would just concentrate on one rep at a time and whatever happens happens. When I got to the 8th rep I was thinking 'one more...oh, that was the last one'

No training on Monday night as I got back from the university, decided not to go to my night study session and went straight to bed. Both my morning and afternoon study partners have been sick this week and I was worried about catching whatever they have. Morning study partner insists she is not sick, she just has a cough...

Last night was interesting:

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006, 8:00pm Day II, Quad Dom

Squats (supersetted with stomach vaccuums)
I was sharing the squat rack with two guys: one just learning how to squat, the other starting to do squats again after not doing them for a very long time. A third guy was waiting for the three of us to finish with the rack so that he could do his sets.
6 x 22.5 Kg / 49.6 lbs
6 x 36.5 Kg / 80.5 lbs
8 x 45 Kg / 99.2 lbs
8 x 42.5 Kg / 93.7 lbs
8 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
At this point I decided to skip the last set (12 x 22.5 Kg / 49.6 lbs) and throw it in later once the rack is free, since guy #3 has been waiting long enough. In theory I'm supposed to stay in the squat rack to do my lunges. Someone suggests doing them on the Smith Machine, but I don't want to have anything to do with the Smith Machine, so I look around and realise one of the bench press benches is free. I take the bar from there and use it for the lunges. I have to sit down to rack and unrack it, but that's fine.

In between sets of lunges I try to catch a glimpse of guy #3 squatting. I don't usually stand around watching other people train, but I'm curious because I've seen him in the gym before, and it is obvious that he trains legs, but I've only seen him do chest and shoulders. Unsurprisingly, the guy can squat. His max sets last night were 160Kg / 353 lbs. Sweet. And after that he went and worked the hack squat machine for awhile.

Lunges (supersetted with leg lifts on bench)
6 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
6 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
8 x 25 Kg / 55 lbs
8 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
8 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
12 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs

Single leg pistols on a counterweight machine. (Supersetted with side curls off the bench).

The rack is now free so I throw in the last set of squats from before. I don't know that it will be of much use at this point, but I can be a bit obsessive about leg day...

Gripper (supersetted with 2 minute sideways box jumps)
6 x 6.25 Kg / 13.8 lbs
6 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
8 x 12.5 Kg / 27.6 lbs
8 x 11.25 Kg / 24.8 lbs
8 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
12 x 6.25 Kg / 13.8 lbs
Did all the cardio intervals this time and they felt easier than before. This was the music for the last 15 minutes or so of the workout; I think it helped. :-)

3 Comments:

At 1:02 AM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

resist the creeping urge to wear all black, ok? i'm talkin' 'bout the music!

 
At 1:26 PM , Anonymous einalem said...

Surely it must be time to redefine your tagline at the top of the blog. You can't still be a fat Canadian nearing diabetes (well, you're probably still Canadian...)? BTW you are totally inspiring.

 
At 3:38 PM , Blogger Mich said...

einalem - definitely still Canadian :-) And thank you for the compliment. I will have to think about the tagline. I never really thought about when the "fat" descriptor will go away. I don't think its time has passed entirely, but I will mull it over.

jm - it is not my fault all these bands have such depressing names... and the black shirts were on sale! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home