Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sinuses And New Music

Stairs on the way to Zion Gate.



Rainy and cold day today - high of 9C/48F. My sinuses hurt and I'm going through tissues at an alarming rate. I'm on my fourth liter of water of the day and I've been eating every three hours. I think this cold actually started on Tuesday night. Wednesday was a cold and tiring day at the university, after which (in denial about the cold) I went in to train Back. I don't think I would have gone in if it was squats or deads. The lifting went fine, but I didn't do the cardio intervals because I was completely exhausted by the time I got to them. No training tonight. I hope to recover sufficiently by morning to get the fourth session of the week done.

This is what last night looked like:

Wednesday Jan 11, 2006, 8:00pm: Day III Back

Upright rows (supersetted with stomach vaccuums)
6 x 12.5Kg / 27.6 lbs
6 x 19 Kg / 41.9 lbs
8 x 24 Kg / 52.9 lbs
8 x 22.5 Kg / 49.6 lbs
8 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
12 x 12.5 Kg / 27.6 lbs

Lat Pulldowns (supersetted with crunches on floor)
6 x 23 Kg / 50.7 lbs
6 x 37 Kg / 81.6 lbs
8 x 46 Kg / 101.4 lbs
8 x 41 Kg / 90.4 lbs
8 x 36 Kg / 79.4 lbs
12 x 23 Kg / 50.7 lbs

Seated Rows (supersetted with side curls off the bench)
6 x 24 Kg / 52.9 lbs
6 x 37 Kg / 81.6 lbs
8 x 46 Kg / 101.4 lbs
8 x 42 Kg / 92.6 lbs
8 x 42 Kg / 92.6 lbs
12 x 24 Kg / 52.9 lbs

Standing Calf Raises, heels together; holding DB overhead
6 x 3 Kg / 6.6 lbs
6 x 5 Kg / 11 lbs
8 x 8 Kg / 17.6 lbs
8 x 8 Kg / 17.6 lbs
8 x 7 Kg / 15.4 lbs
12 x 3 Kg / 6.6 lbs

A couple of weeks ago one of the guys in the gym put together some sampler cds for me. I've been listening to them to decide what to buy when I go to the US next month. I wasn't expecting to develop a taste for hardcore/metal (not that I'm clear on the difference between these yet) as my workout music - certainly not at age 35 :-) Seems a fringe benefit of working out on a regular basis is becoming aware of bands I never knew existed; these include Callisto, The Red Chord, Necrophagist, Hate Eternal, Misery Signals, The Red Death, All Shall Perish, Burn the Priest, Into the Moat, Bury Your Dead, Bleed the Sky, Scarve... and a bunch of others with equally non-cheery names that I can't remember offhand. Reminds me of when I was 11 years old and an older cousin made me a cassette mix tape to introduce me to rock'n'roll... If you have any suggestions for other bands I should check out, or a music shelf like Scott's, please leave them in the comments - or e-mail them to me before the end of January.

3 Comments:

At 6:39 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

feel better soon! if your cold is like mine then be careful. it pretends to go away and then sucker-punches. be diligent!

 
At 6:47 PM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

also, you are welcome to all my NIN. the last band the ex introduced me to was "VNV Nation". also check this site. It might be more on the gothy side tho'.

 
At 7:43 AM , Blogger K said...

What's wrong with wearing all black? That's what I usually wear in the gym ;) My favourite T-shirt to lift in actually says "Today, I am wearing mostly black" in tiny letters. (It's my favourite mostly because it's fitted, so I can see what my core is doing in the mirror while I'm squatting/deadlifting).

Inspired by you, I've split my workouts into leg/upper days (once I learn a wider range of exercises, the division may get more sophisticated) and it's certainly speeding things up, although I have slight guilt about not doing every exercise every session. But it's probably going to be better this way.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home