Friday, January 13, 2006

Deads

Woke up this morning at 6:45am feeling much better - around 80% well - and headed off to meet a fellow blogger for an 8:00am breakfast at Cafe Shosh on Palmach Street. Had a lovely time while explaining that the The Magnificent Seven qualifies as a chick flick because you get Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen in the same movie. :-)

After breakfast I was waiting at the bus stop when a schoolmate walked by. We exchanged pleasantries, and then she said:
"I'm coming to your house for dinner tonight,"
"Hm?" I say.
Turns out that flatmate #2, unbeknownst to either myself or (as I found out later) flatmate #1, decided to have an 11 person Shabbat dinner this evening.

I was at the gym by 10:30am. It turned out to be a lovely workout. I should lift like this when I'm 100% well. It was also the last free page in the workout log. New notebook arrives Sunday.

Friday, January 13, 2006, 10:15am: Day IV Biceps and Hamstrings

Bicep BB Curls (supersetted with standing crunches)
6 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
6 x 14 Kg / 30.9 lbs
8 x 17.5 Kg / 38.6 lbs After last Friday's failure (9 x 20 Kg instead of 10 x 20 Kg), guy-in-charge decided to drop the weight down and re-start the progression. I'm not stressed by this as I prefer smooth upward progressions in the weights I'm lifting, and there have been too many failures on the curls.
8 x 17.5 Kg / 38.6 lbs
8 x 15 Kg / 33 lbs
12 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs

I should explain how things work at the gym. When you join man-in-charge designs a program for you based on your goals. (When I joined I told him I wanted to get stronger and that I'm not here to lose weight or fit into a dress size. I'm now on my third program and the goal is get stronger and do a pull up at some point.) When you come in for a session, you do your warm up and then the 50% and 80% of the max weight set on your own, and then you call man-in-charge or guy-in-charge over to watch your max weight set. Depending on how cleanly you do that set, they will tell you how much weight to drop for the next set, and also critique your technique as needed. Then they do the same for the rest of your work sets.

BB Hammer Curls using tricep bar (supersetted with leg lifts on bench)
6 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
6 x 15 Kg / 33 lbs
8 x 19 Kg / 41.9 lbs Exactly the right weight. I had enough for eight perfect reps and that's it.
8 x 16.5 Kg / 36.4 lbs
8 x 15 Kg / 33 lbs
12 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs

"You're disappearing," says one of the guys.
"I just work out later at night," I say, thinking that he means I'm not in the gym at the times he's usually in the gym anymore.
"No, you're like half a person," *light bulb goes on* It's a weight loss compliment. Trust me, the exchange sounded much better in Hebrew.

Hamstring Curls (supersetted with side curls off the bench)
6 x 9 Kg / 19.8 lbs
6 x 14 Kg / 30.9 lbs
8 x 18 Kg / 39.7 lbs Neither easy nor difficult. The hard part is keeping my mind focused on the curls. I'm already thinking ahead to the deads at this point.
8 x 16 Kg / 35.3 lbs
8 x 15 Kg / 33 lbs
12 x 9 Kg / 19.8 lbs

Deadlifts (supersetted with 2 minute sideways box jumps)
6 x 25 Kg / 55.1 lbs
6 x 41.5 Kg / 91.5 lbs
8 x 51.5 Kg / 113.5 lbs Man-in-charge came in while I was finishing the ham curls, so he, rather than guy-in-charge, was watching these... and he tells me to stay at the same weight. :-)
8 x 51.5 Kg / 113.5 lbs
8 x 46.5 Kg / 102.5 lbs
12 x 25 Kg / 55.1 lbs
The cardio intervals went well. I had lots of energy; being told to stay at the same weight after your max set will do that.

There are two people waiting to use the rack when I'm done. Older guy works in with me at the end, doing his warm up set while I do a cardio interval. He goes off to do the leg press and asks me to tell him when I'm done. Younger guy decides to wait, not realising that there's someone else ahead of him.
"Next time say something," I said to younger guy, "I have three minutes between sets; lots of time to take weight on and off the bar and move the bar to squat height," Younger guy looks dubious,
"But I have 90 Kg," he says.
"I've shared the rack with someone doing 110 Kg," I said, "I'll make you a deal: you rest, I'll take the weight on and off the bar." He still looked dubious, but I hope he'll take me up on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home