Friday, December 16, 2005

WednesdayThursdayFriday

The expected reading material wasn't there. The class got an e-mail from the prof the next day saying that the readings had become available at the grad school office at 5:15pm. This didn't help me any as I had checked for them at 2:15pm. From the questions he sent us it looks as though I can source most of the stuff on my own, so I am not too worried. It's an annoyance but a minor one.

I visited one of the sports equipment stores earlier in the week looking for another pair of workout pants. It was a store where I had previously bought sportsbras. For whatever reason, the saleswoman was unbelievably useless and rude. She made me feel like I was taking up her valuable time. Well fine then. I don't force my business on people. The next day, I discovered a large hole in my sneakers. Guess where I did NOT go for new shoes. I ended up going to Sport Li Ve'Lach on King George Street, and I bought a pair of New Balance 472s and a pair of workout pants. They're actually men's, but they are comfortable and the first pair I bought made it through the wash and still looked new. The guy at the store threw in a pair of sports socks for free, and told me that there'll be more pants coming in a week and a half. :D I've finally gotten it through my head that I need to stop using my old workout pants. There's only so much you can pull on a drawstring, and I don't want them dropping to the ground in the middle of a squat set.

Nice solid back workout on Wednesday night: the usual upright rows - lat pulldowns - seated rows trio and then the freestanding calf raises, the first three supersetted with abwork and the latter with box jumps. Last night was biceps and hamstrings, and I was very happy with the deadlifts at the end. I've been coming into the gym late in the evening and staying till the 10:30pm closing. Towards the end of the night there were only two people working out: me, and this guy who has been there since before I joined. Of course we both needed the squat rack at the same time. :-) We talked a little afterwards and he said that he had been finding it difficult to come in more than twice a week due to work demands. His workout last night was shoulders, abs, and squats. And what gorgeous squats they were. I had an excellent view as I was doing the box jumps between deadlift sets, and there are few things as beautiful as a perfectly executed squat.

Twelve hours later (aka this morning) I was back in the gym for Chest-Triceps-Shoulders. Whom do I see as soon as I walk in the door? PerfectSquatGuy from the night before. He had come in to do the boxing class first thing in the morning. We both laugh, and I say that now he can rest on Shabbat with a clear conscience.

This morning's workout was day 1 of the 8 rep microcycle; meaning that the all work sets are done for 8 reps. This is how it went:

Bench Press; supersetted with sets of standing crunches
6 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
6 x 31.5 Kg / 69.4 lbs
8 x 39 Kg / 86 lbs
8 x 32.5 Kg / 71.7 lbs
8 x 32.5 Kg / 71.7 lbs
12 x 10 Kg / 44 lbs

Push Ups; supersetted with sets of leg lifts off bench.
6 x L2 (L2 means the bar is on the 2nd lowest rung of the squat rack and I am doing push ups against the bar. The goal is to do all these push-up sets on the floor, and then start adding weight plates on my back. L1 means the lowest level, and so on.)
6 x L2
8 x L1
8 x L1
8 x L1
12 x L2

Skull Crushers; supersetted with side curls off bench.
6 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
6 x 17.5 Kg / 38.6 lbs
7 x 21.5 Kg / 47.4 lbs (This should have been 8 but I failed on the last rep; I was incredibly annoyed at myself. Yes, it is a personal best, but I really really wanted the 8th rep. The funny thing was that ShoulderGuy, who was in charge today, wanted me to drop to 14 Kg for the next two sets. I did mention people are absolute sticklers for form at my gym, no? I was wincing inwardly at this point, because I was hoping not to go below 15Kg - bar and two 2.5Kg plates. But I'm not going to argue, so I loaded up 14 Kg: bar and locks is 10 Kg, two plates of 1.25 Kg each, and two collars which are 750g each. I tighten the locks, and a guy comes by to ask if he can have the 750g collars for his decline bench press sets. Inward wince turns to inward smile. I suggest to ShoulderGuy that I give the guy the collars and do the next sets at 15Kg. Everyone thinks this is a very sensible suggestion, and thus my next two sets are smooth and controlled, and 15 Kg. :-)
8 x 15 Kg / 33 lbs
8 x 15 Kg / 33 lbs
12 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs

Rotator Cuff Exercise; supersetted with 2 minutes of sideways jumps over aerobic step with riser.
6 x 2 Kg / 4.4 lbs
6 x 3 Kg / 6.6 lbs
8 x 4 Kg / 8.8 lbs
8 x 3 Kg / 6.6 lbs Probably could have stayed at 4 Kg for this set, but rotator cuff work is not about pushing weight but about staying healthy to push weight on the bigger exercises.
8 x 2 Kg / 4.4 lbs
12 x 2 Kg / 4.4 lbs

No market today; I stocked up on cottage cheese last night, and I have just enough veggies to get me through Saturday. Two more weeks or so and then the days start getting longer again, thank goodness. Oh, and the amazingly warm and sunny weather we've been enjoying in Jerusalem for the past two weeks or so is finished. It was cold and rainy today, which is fine, because Israel always needs all the rain it can get. Rain or not I'm still planning on doing the municipal walking tour tomorrow morning .

1 Comments:

At 1:07 PM , Blogger chaos said...

What kind of workout pants do you wear? My running pants (which are essentially tights) have alos gotten big. But who knew lycra could actually fall down? I ran 9 miles pulling and tugging the whole way.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home