Friday, December 23, 2005

Rest Periods and Push Ups

During last night's deadlift session I had a talk with man-in-charge about rest periods. The idea is to keep the rest periods between sets to three minutes or less, and those three minutes include the crunches or box jumps or whatever secondary exercise I'm doing. So I tried it this morning when I was doing Chest-Shoulders-Triceps, and it is completely doable and as a bonus, keeps my concentration high.

There was a guy there last night working upper body. He was a big guy, at least 6', and he had rather interesting tatoos on both arms. He had his ipod on the whole time, didn't say a word to anyone, and just worked. I heard someone speak to him in English at one point, and he was wearing jeans, which leads me to guess that he is a tourist (there are two big hotels within walking distance of the gym) who just didn't bring workout clothes with him. Even in jeans you could tell he had decent hamstrings. Definitely not one of those stick-legged-huge-upper-body guys. At one point he was just slumped on the preacher curl bench in exhaustion. To borrow a quote from one of the commenters at CrossFit, he was kicking his own butt, and he wasn't the only one. Another guy was doing a 3/4 squat variation: Down all the way, up 3/4 of the way, repeat, with beautiful form.

This morning I went in early to avoid the Friday busy hours, but the busy hours never materialized. I don't know if people were away because the forecast was for massive rains or because Chanuka starts Sunday and many people take vacation during this time. A couple of people would be away for Christmas Eve, but that doesn't account for the Jewish religious guys. Whatever the reason, a quiet Friday was nice for a change. And since there weren't that many people there, no one complained about the heavy metal music and it was on for most of the workout.

I finally did more than one work set of push-ups on the floor, three sets to be exact. Psychologically it is a huge thing for me to be doing full push-ups again, and this is after the bench press sets are done. Apparently women doing full push-ups are a rare thing, because I got comments from several people. First, an American guy who was just leaving stopped to tell me "nice pushups" (I said "thank you"). Then by the water fountain an older religious gentleman tells me that I work hard and that this is excellent, and proceeds to quote "koach u'gevurah natan bahem" which is a phrase from the Sabbath morning prayer service that translates to "strength and power he placed in them". I love this country :-)

Shabbat Shalom to those observing it, and a Merry Christmas to those celebrating it.

1 Comments:

At 2:27 AM , Blogger JuliaMazal said...

Hooray for full push-ups!!!! You rock.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home