Thursday, December 29, 2005

Last Night: Perishability

Perishability is a concept used in the hotel industry. Room nights are perishable; if you don't sell the room night tonight, you never have a chance to sell that room night again. The way I see it, training nights are perishable too.

I wasn't sure if to train last night. I could have used the rest, but I went in for two reasons. First, next week I am back to studying in two places which means my gym time goes back down to four sessions per week (five if I'm lucky). Second, last night's session would be the start of the 6 rep work set microcycle, which is usually the most fun because it's a chance to hit new max weights. After these four sessions the work sets go to 10 reps and the weight drops accordingly - back to the weight I was previously doing for 8 reps.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. Here's how it went:

Day I: Chest Triceps Shoulders: Work Sets @ 6 reps

Flat BP
6 x 21.5 Kg / 47.4 lbs
6 x 34 Kg / 75 lbs
5 x 42.5 Kg / 93.7 lbs. Should have been six reps. Not sure if this was a strength issue or a concentration issue.
6 x 32.5 Kg / 71.7 lbs
6 x 32.5 Kg / 71.7 lbs. Looking back on these two sets, I should have not dropped it by that much. It would have made more sense to go back to 34 Kg or 80% of max.
12 x 21.5 Kg / 47.4 lbs

At this point gym co-owner walks by with a half-eaten jelly-filled powdered-sugar-dusted donut. (In Hebrew "sufgania": foods fried in oil are part of the Hanukkah tradition.) He asks me if I want some and I give him the "you have got to be kidding me" look. One of the guys who has finished his workout and is sitting on the pec dec sipping a protein shake, chooses that moment to say that he had one today. Guy-in-charge, who is sitting across from him, somehow manages to look startled, disgusted and angry at the same time. You had to be there. :-) The thing is that I haven't even felt the craving for a sufgania this year. Last year at Hanukkah I had one every time I went into downtown - basically one a day for eight days. This year I look at them and feel nothing. Not even a twinge.

Push Ups (supersetted with leg lifts on bench)
6 x L1
6 x Floor
6 x 1.25 Kg / 2.8 lbs (plate on back) Got to start somewhere.
6 x Floor
6 x Floor
12 x L1

Skull Crushers (supersetted with side curls off the bench)
6 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
6 x 17.5 Kg / 38.6 lbs
6 x 21.5 Kg / 47.4 lbs. Entirely a matter of concentration. I was feeling weak, but I decided that one missed max for the night is quite enough.
6 x 16.5 Kg / 36.4 lbs
6 x 15 Kg / 33.1 lbs
12 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs

Rotator Cuff Exercise (supersetted with 2 minute sideways box jumps)
6 x 3 Kg / 6.6 lbs
6 x 4 Kg / 8.8 lbs. Right shoulder very unhappy all of a sudden - no idea why. Decided to drop the weight and have guy-in-charge watch that I was doing it correctly. Did the rest of the sets slowly and at a very low weight. Will talk to man-in-charge about this on Thursday night.
6 x 2 Kg / 4.4 lbs
6 x 2 Kg / 4.4 lbs
6 x 2 Kg / 4.4 lbs
12 x 1.5 Kg / 3.3 lbs

Interesting Reading: One of the women at the gym on Tuesday night asked me how often I train. I said that I come in four times per week and if I can come in more frequently I do. She asked me if I enjoy it, and I said yes. She said that she's not at the point yet where she enjoys it. She comes in, she does her program, she knows it is doing good things for her body and she feels better, but it is still something she has to make herself do. On that thought but on a nutrition tangent, I found a blog post by Chris Shugart at T-Nation about about moving between levels. and being patient with other people as they find their level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home