Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Last Night: Deads and Annoyances

At Hebrew U right now, in-between classes. I wish I had brought my camera. It is an amazingly clear day and the view is beautiful. How clear? You can actually see the Dead Sea from Mount Scopus.

Last night: Day IV: Biceps & Hamstrings

Bicep BB Curls (supersetted with standing crunches)
6 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
6 x 16.5 Kg / 36.4 lbs
7 x 21.5 Kg / 47.4 lbs This set was much harder than I expected and even though I did all 7 reps, the disappointment must have been obvious on my face because the following conversation ensued:
Man-in-charge: Mich, perfectionism is an illness.
Me: But it shouldn't have been that difficult.
He: Why not?
Me: Because 20 Kg wasn't that hard.
He: What's the % difference between 20 and 21.5?
Me: 8%
He: 7.5%.
Me: But that's not a lot... *still not getting it*
He: How much are you going to deadlift today?
Me: 47.5 Kg.
He: Well?
Me: Aha! *I finally get it: on the deads I usually go up in 2.5 Kg increments and 7.5% of 47.5 would be 3.6 Kg*
The rest of the sets went fine, but it took awhile to shake off the negativity, which I think showed up in the next exercise.
7 x 19 Kg / 41.9 lbs
7 x 16.5 Kg / 36.4 lbs
12 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs

BB Hammer Curls (supersetted with leg lifts on bench) The BB looks like a rectangle with two bars in it. More a forearms than biceps exercise, really.
6 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
6 x 16.5 Kg / 36.4 lbs
4 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs. This was supposed to be 7 reps but the 5th rep would not come up. I'm annoyed again, but at least I don't show it.
7 x 17.5 Kg / 38.6 lbs. Clean and smooth - enough to attempt the same weight again on the next set.
6 x 17.5 Kg / 38.6 lbs. Felt good until I got to the 7th rep. Bar simply would not move.
12 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs

At this point I am happy to be done with the first half of the workout, and my only thought is "stop thinking about it before it screws up your deads!"

Hamstring Curls (supersetted with side curls off the bench)
6 x 8.5 Kg / 18.7 lbs
6 x 13.5 Kg / 29.8 lbs
7 x 17 Kg / 37.5 lbs
7 x 16 Kg / 35.3 lbs
7 x 15 Kg / 33 lbs
12 x 8.5 Kg / 18.7 lbs

Deadlifts (supersetted with 2 minute sideways box jumps)
6 x 24 Kg / 52.9 lbs
6 x 37.5 Kg / 22 lbs
7 x 47.5 Kg / 104.7 lbs
7 x 47.5 Kg / 104.7 lbs (Ok, I'm happy now.)
7 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
12 x 24 Kg / 52.9 lbs
Ran out of time and didn't do the last two 2-minute intervals. Rested a minute instead, did the last set and then ran to the changeroom and changed clothes fast enough to count as a cardio interval.

Interesting reading:

A post about television advertising and children's obesity over at the Volokh Conspiracy. Also see the Becker and Posner blog posts on the same subject.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 AM , Blogger Scott said...

That post on tv ads and childrens' obesity is interesting. Surely everyone realises that there isn't going to be a single cause, or a simple solution.

With the hammer curls, I'm trying to work out what type of bar you were using - I suspect a tricep bar. There are pics of several bar varieties here.

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Mich said...

It is indeed a tricep bar. Thanks! Now I don't have to refer to it as "rectangle with two lines inside" anymore.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home