Monday, December 19, 2005

High and Low

High point of last night's workout: a guy, a real live guy, a real live guy who starts his workout with a slew of very smooth pull-ups, asked me to spot his bench press. I don't think anyone has ever asked me to spot them before. On the other hand, in most gyms there aren't that many people who do exercises that require a spot.

This morning I told a friend about this and how happy it made me and she asked, "Because he was good looking?"
"No," I said, "I mean, yes he was nice looking, but that's not the point. The point is that someone trusted me to get a bar with weight off them if it became necessary."

The low point (or, as it turns out, the not-low-enough point), was ten minutes later. I was doing my last work set of squats and man-in-charge tells me my depth was insufficient on the last two reps. Not enough depth? That has never happened in all the time I've been in the gym. I'm putting it down to a mental lapse. Definitely not happening again.

In response to Liz's question, the new workout pants are Diadora men's long pants. They're a loose cut. I used to do the tights + big t-shirt thing. These days I prefer a looser cut on the pants because that makes it easier to squat and deadlift. I also prefer a form-fitting t-shirt because that makes it easier to spot form breaks. You can't hide unretracted scapulae in a tight t-shirt. :-)

The family that will host me during student teaching month is visiting Jerusalem. Looks like Tuesday night just became "have dinner with future host family" night, which means no gym session on Tuesday.

Last night's session:

Squats (supersetted with stomach vaccuums)
6 x 21.5Kg / 47.4 lbs
6 x 34 Kg / 75 lbs
8 x 42.5 Kg / 93.7 lbs
8 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
8 x 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
12 x 21.5 Kg / 47.4 lbs

Lunges (supersetted with leg lifts on bench)
6 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
6 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
8 x 22.5 Kg / 49.6 lbs (finally some weight on the bar!)
8 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
8 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs
12 x 20 Kg / 44 lbs

Single leg pistols on a counterweight machine, which assists the exercise in the same way that a gravitron is used for people who can't yet do pullups. No weights here as I don't have any idea what they mean. Basically, the lower the number, the more of my own weight I'm supporting and the better the set. I'll worry about numbers when I can do these without the machine. Might take awhile. The sets are supersetted with side curls off the bench.

Gripper (supersetted with 2 minute sideways box jumps)
6 x 6.25 Kg / 13.8 lbs
6 x 9 Kg / 19.8 lbs
8 x 11.25 Kg / 24.8 lbs
8 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
8 x 10 Kg / 22 lbs
12 x 6.25 Kg / 13.8 lbs
Ran out of time and didn't do the last two jumping intervals as the gym was about to close.

5 Comments:

At 9:42 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Getting asked to spot someone is indeed great. As long as they're not lifting more than your PR :)

I've never seen a machine to assist with pistols. Is it a well equipped gym, or do they just have an unusual array of equipment?

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger Mich said...

I don't think that assisting with pistols is the original intent of the machine. I think it is more a case of being creative with existing equipment, in the same way that people in a gym with no reverse hyper can do them by putting a Swiss ball on a bench.

I'll try to take a picture of the machine at some point and post it.

 
At 5:45 PM , Blogger chaos said...

Alright Mich with your bad spotting self. Awesome! I find myself wearing tight clothes to yoga now so the the teacher can better adjust my form. Practicality trumps vanity.

 
At 12:50 PM , Blogger john yeo said...

nice squatting for your bodyweight, specially if you getting the depth. You are female?

 
At 5:52 AM , Blogger Mich said...

John - Thanks! Yes, definitely female. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home