Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Sunday

Sunday night was Chest-Triceps-Shoulders. It is not going down in history as one of my better workouts. I was very tired. Six hours of sleep per night is not enough. I ran out of steam three quarters of the way through my max bench press set. My concentration was shot, and little things kept distracting me, for example, the way the towel was bunching up on the bench. The pushups were fine, but I was too disappointed in the bench press to pay them much attention. The skull crushers were solid. My shoulder was fine until I got to the shoulder presses. I gave up on the shoulder presses after the two warm-up sets because I didn’t like the way my right shoulder felt.

In a flash of unintended genius I had brought gloves with me. Last week I asked man-in-charge about using the heavy bag that is hanging in the studio. There's nothing like hitting a heavy bag to finish off a workout. He was reluctant, saying that I might hurt my wrist or forearm. I said there was no need to worry; I wouldn't hurt anything and it would make me more relaxed. He watched me hit the bag for a bit, then left the studio. The bag is interesting; it is leather, longer than standard, and wrapped in a ton of duct tape. Man-in-charge said he brought the bag with him from Georgia (not the one in the US) sixteen years ago. The elastic of the gloves was too loose around my wrists. I have to get them to a tailor and get them taken in too.

4 Comments:

At 9:57 AM , Blogger chaos said...

Despite the sleepiness, it sounds like you had a good workout. I have "bad runs" sometimes when I am tired or not in the flow or whatever. I think they are as important to work through as the "good runs." Builds mental strength. Working a bag sounds like a lot of fun. Hmmm. And what a history behind that bag.

 
At 11:33 AM , Blogger BethK said...

What is this "skull crusher" of which you speak? I have heard the expression and the name itself is pretty evocative. I'm assuning it hits the triceps, but I'm curious; is it done lying down, standing up?

 
At 4:49 AM , Blogger john yeo said...

lieing on your back on a bench. just like a tricep extension except that instead you bring the bar down towards your head.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger K said...

I just graduated to benchpressing the full-weight bar, and am feeling like the biggest weakling in the world doing wobbly presses with an empty bar. I'll just have to keep at it!

Talking of wrists, I'm having the odd problem with mine, and wondered if anyone has any tips...

I do rows and tricep extensions with one hand and knee on a bench, one foot on the floor. By the end of the set, my supporting wrist hurts. I'm slightly hypermobile, so both wrist and elbow tend to bend too far in the wrong direction if I lean on them, and I try to counter this by not holding my elbow completely straight.

I've tried leaning on my knuckles instead of my palm, but that makes my shoulders quite high up and harder to stabilize, and I don't know if it's a good idea. Any ideas? (Or if you don't know, do you know who might?)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home