Friday, November 04, 2005

Postmortem

I think it is pretty clear that Operation No Backslide was a failure. I think I could have handled the gym closure at any other time except holiday season, and I could have handled the holiday season if the gym had been open. The two together threw me for a major loop.

After all this waffling and backsliding, this morning's weight was 67.1 Kg or 148 lbs. So now what?

There are three more phases to my Maspik Teruzim project. Phase one starts this Sunday, November 6 and goes until Jan 31, 2006. The goal for phase one is to lose 10 lbs and to regain all the fitness ground by not being in the gym this past month. I want to be 138 lbs on January 31, 2006.

Phase two is the month of February 2006. I will be in North America that month doing my student teaching, and the goal is to lose two lbs during that month, so that I start the spring semester on March 5 at 136 lbs.

Phase three is from March 5 to June 30, and covers the last semester at Hebrew U. The goal for this semester is to lose the last 12 lbs and be at 124 lbs on June 30, 2006.

This morning I woke up early and went out for breakfast. I’ve decided that Friday breakfast will be my one restaurant meal each week. It also gets me out of the house early, as the two restaurants I like for Israeli breakfast open by 0700. After breakfast I took the bus to one of my favorite used bookstores, Intellect Books on Yafo Street. I got two commentaries on the Song of Songs. They had a bunch of sf paperbacks on sale for 10 NIS, so I picked up a copy of Heinlein’s Friday. From the bookstore I began walking along Yafo Street towards the market and came across a clothing store called Tamnoon. The name means Octopus, which is a cute name for a women’s clothing store.

I should note that it is getting chillier here in Jerusalem, so I opened the suitcase where I stuffed all my winter clothes last year, and started trying things on. Unsurprisingly, everything is too big. Since a surefire way to regain weight is to keep wearing big clothes, I need to get rid of all this tent-like apparel as soon as possible. However, this means I need to buy clothes.

So I went into the store to try on a pair of jeans. The salesperson helping me was wonderful. She kept suggesting more things for me to try on. I love it when salespeople show initiative and actually try to sell me stuff. It has been awhile since I was helped by someone with energy and initiative, so I asked her if she was the owner. She turned out to be the store manager, and she told me that she herself had lost 30Kg (66 lbs), and so she could identify with the process of having to replace an entire wardrobe more than once. I bought two pairs of jeans and one pair of sweatpants for a total expenditure of 225 NIS or $48 USD.

I’m going to go back to the store and get cords and sweaters next week.

2 Comments:

At 1:25 PM , Blogger chaos said...

You evaluated and are moving on. Fighting the gym and the holidays is just too much to ask of anybody, really. And your plans for moving forward sound reasonable. Are clothes normally that inexpensive?

 
At 11:21 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I'm away for a couple weeks and I come back to find that Operation No Backslide has failed. Sorry to hear that. Remember, in the short term, there will be ups and downs in a training program. The trick is to understand that, not let the downs get you down and stay focused on longer term results. It sounds like you've established some attainable goals for the next 8 months. Just keep working hard toward them.

Hopefully, gym renovations are truly done??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home