Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Music

Sunday night was Chest-Triceps-Shoulders. Chest went better than last week; I got all the reps I wanted on my max set. However, man-in-charge said the form was slipping a little, so we dropped the weight for the 2nd and 3rd work set. The leaning push-ups against the bar are getting better (meaning, closer and closer to the floor), and the skull crushers are fast becoming one of my favourite exercises. The shoulder presses are gone, and I'm doing rotator cuff stuff instead until my right shoulder feels right.

The music was atrocious, and I said to man-in-charge that some louder, more energetic music would be nice. He said that the best thing is to train in silence, without music of any kind, because the body has a natural rhythm and the exernal music throws that off. I said that sometimes it's not the rhythm that's important but the words. He said that if I can hear the words then this means my concentration is not where it should be. Point taken, :-) especially considering the bench press sets. Since the majority of gym-goers expect music, and the gym is not moving to silent training any time soon, I may start bringing in some cds so that at least I have music that I like some of the time.

3 Comments:

At 7:55 AM , Blogger K said...

I have to say, I find that music I like tends to make me lose count of my reps, because I'm paying more attention to it than I would to random music. Then again, sometimes I have the attention span of a gerbil (if not a goldfish).

I can't listen to music and run on a treadmill, but I find it invaluable for setting a rhythm with other kinds of cardio. I suppose it does depend on the kind of thing you're doing.

 
At 7:53 PM , Anonymous sis said...

i've never been able to ignore lyrics in songs, that's why i can only work to instrumental or classical music. however, my suggestion is... iPod for Hannukah! :-)

 
At 2:46 PM , Blogger Mich said...

k - very true.

sis - I'm going into teaching, remember? I don't have an ipod budget. My budget might support a kazoo. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home