Saturday, November 12, 2005

More Tours

Today I planned on taking the municipality's free walking tour (in Hebrew) of the Christian quarter of the Old City. However, a lot of people had the exact same idea; I think about a hundred people showed up for the tour. At the last minute I decided to go with the English speaking tour, which was going to the old neighbourhood of Nahlaot in the New City and had only twenty people. Two hours of walking, which isn't bad for a Saturday morning. The closer I get to the end of my stay here, the more conscious I get of how little time there is to see everything. Between the Saturday morning municipality tours, the Beit Shmuel tours and the tours in the Historical Geography course, I hope to cover as much as possible.

I heard today that next week the English tour is going to the Rehavia neighbourhood, and the Hebrew tour is going to the Bukharan neighbourhood. I think I will do the English tour, because I've done the other tour already. I hope we have good weather again. Not too many days like this left before real winter. We only turn the heating on for two hours each day, but we turned it off completely last week to save on fuel costs, reasoning that while the temperature is over 10C we can handle it by wearing more layers.

One of the things I miss about Canada is Rememberance Day ceremonies. Wish I had a poppy to wear. One of my classmates had one, with a little Canadian flag pin holding it in place. Here's a link to In Flanders Fields, and here's the story of its author, John McCrae.

16 days of riots in France and media coverage is sparse. A map of incidents is here, and a day 16 update here.

1 Comments:

At 12:34 PM , Blogger chaos said...

Thanks for posting those links. News of rioting in Paris is very difficult to find in the US.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home