Thursday, November 17, 2005

Criticism

Several days ago, via my referral stats, I found this page, which had linked to me with this description:
Musings of a female weight lifter trying to lose weight. Rather amazing how all of her goals are set around losing weight with some about lifting more. I know stronger women. First female blog.
On the one hand, I was flattered that someone called me a weight lifter. On the other hand, I never really thought about how my goals are set around losing weight.

The thing is, weight is a limiting factor on what I want to achieve in the gym. I'm not going to complete a dead hang pull up if I stay at my current weight. I'm not going to lift amounts that can be expressed in percents of bodyweight greater than 1 if I stay at my current weight. But the weight isn't the goal. Doing pullups is the goal, having a 2x bodyweight squat and deadlift is a goal. Having a 100lb bench press and then a 1.5% body weight bench press is a goal.

So I'm going to think about it for the next few days and come up with a better set of goals. And I may shove the scale under the bed for awhile. At least until Jan 1, 2006. I now have clothes that fit, and they can serve as indicators of shrinkage or expansion.

One other thing: the part that says "I know stronger women" made me smile. I certainly hope he does. If I'm the strongest woman a reader knows then he or she really has to get out more. :-) Either that or change to a better gym.

2 Comments:

At 7:23 PM , Blogger chaos said...

Hey Mich, I've been thinking the same thing-- I need another goal besides a weight/size goal. But letting go is hard. And weight limits the kind of work I want to do with running--it really cuts back on speed, explosive strength and whatnot. And, excuse me, but what's up with this selling short of you and your strength? I've seen your stats, you're pumping some significant iron, in my book at least. Keep us updated, ok?

 
At 9:09 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Mich - If you're in the gym, you're probably thinking about your weight. Whether man or woman. Powerlifter, bodybuilder or runner. Hey, I list my weight in the right sidebar too. My last post in my blog was about my weight. So that's not a big deal.

What is a big deal is the culture that creates eating and weight issues with women. If I was a woman, I don't know how I could not constantly be examining my weight and physical appearance. The size/weight issue has been hammered into the collective, your brain, as well as into men's. To step back from that is an almost insurmountable task.

You're doing great.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home