Monday, October 03, 2005

Carnival of Health and Fitness #3

Welcome to the 3rd edition of the Carnival of Health & Fitness! Very few posts came in this week (hey, this is a fledgling carnival just learning to fly!), but I went out and read through a slew of fitness, health and lifting blogs to find posts I liked. Thank goodness for wireless internet; I am writing this from the Coffee Mill on Emek Refaim Street in Jerusalem, Israel.

The pictures interspersed throughout are from my gym, which is currently closed for renovations *sob*. When it re-opens it will look a little different, but one thing will not change, and that is my favourite piece of equipment, the squat rack.

On to the Carnival...

At House of Nan, a short and simple but oh so to the point post about waffling. (Hat tip: Marla at Someday is Now).

Speaking of Marla, go and read her Tales of a Male, a Scale and A Sale if you haven't already. I sometimes think that all scales should come with a little sticker; "abandon hope all ye who step on me".

Read Eat Sleep talks about Food Choices, and that all important question: "What Can I Eat?"



Slim Spirited explains why Food Will Not Make It Better. It is the story of an Aha! moment; she chose not to resolve an emotional problem with food since, if hunger is not the problem, food is not the solution.

Chaos in Oneself stares herself down in a post simply entitled Look. As I've said before, I think she is writing found poetry with the titles of her posts. Check out her list of titles to see what I mean.

I was struck by a post at the Fatslayer Chronicles: all about lying about one's weight to people who, quite frankly, probably don't give a darn. Why was I struck by this post? Because just this week three people asked me how much weight I've lost, and I told them, straight out, without even thinking twice about it. (I still think that telling people how much I lift is best done in the gym... I wonder if I will get over that at some point.)


The Born Again Gym Bunny writes eloquently on lack of motivation. What is motivation and what is plain common sense? Go read and find out. When I read her article I thought about (of all things) the opening credits to Kung Fu: The Legend Continues. Anyone remember that show? To paraphrase, "I don't do motivation, I'm a lifter, that's who I am, that's what I do"...

I've had that Northern Pikes song, She Ain't Pretty She Just Looks That Way in my head all week, and I think it was triggered by reading about the inverse relationship between muscle and makeup over at Caustic Musings. And to illustrate this point further, here's a picture of some weight plates which may not be pretty but are perfectly functional all the same.


Found a description of an interesting exercise at Working Out for Health. Anyone out there doing these in their program right now?

Since one of my dreams is to one day enter a powerlifting competition, I was inspired by Lift n'Learn's account of his first meet. He acquitted himself well and met two of his goals - nice!

I am not anywhere near the level for such experiments (one day, one day), but I like reading posts like this one at the Reinvention Tour. Bet you didn't know "ploomp" was a technical term...

Commercial Sites: The people behind T-Nation launched a web site for their new product which is aimed at women and said web site has a lot of good articles. If you read T-Mag regularly you'll recognize most of the authors and some of the articles. At Elite Fitness Systems I found an article about ACL injuries in young female athletes.

Oldie but Goodie: I've had this in my Bookmarks forever. At ThinkMuscle, Elzi Volk's article Planet Estrogen III: The Menstrual Cycle and Athletic Performance.



Tonight is the eve of Rosh Hashana, so I'm going to be away from the blog for two days celebrating Jewish New Year. I wish all of you a year of good health, good food and good friends. May we all have such amazing grip strength that we do not need to use the deadlift straps shown in the picture above, and may we all realise our dreams, especially if said dreams include a power cage and a glute-ham raise machine in a refinished basement... :-)

You can read the Carnival submission guidelines here. Check out the previous editions: #1 and #2. Next week's edition will be at Weight on Me.

4 Comments:

At 10:34 AM , Blogger Nikki said...

Thank you for doing this week's Carnival. I have not really had a chance to read all the posts yet, but they look extremely enticing. Thank you so much.

I don't know if you say Happy Rosh Hashanah, but Happy New Year:-) Enjoy the celebrations.

BTW, are you living in Isreal permanently or will you be returning to Canada? I think it's very cool that you had the guts to do this.

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger chaos said...

Hi Mich, thank you! Also, I love seeing pics of your gym. Good idea, we should all post our workout spaces. Great round-up of posts. Happy Rosh Hashana.

 
At 5:11 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Nikki - thank you for starting the carnival! If all goes well, I'll be here until July or August 2006. The program I'm in requires me to return to North America after that.

Liz - you're welcome. And thanks for writing posts with cool titles :-)

 
At 12:54 AM , Anonymous sis said...

Refinished basement?! Aw, if you're gonna dream, you could put your gym on the ground floor - or in the backyard facing the ocean!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home