Saturday, September 24, 2005

The Weekend

I love deadlifts
‘Cause those deadlifts
Make me tougher and buffer and strong
When you deadlift
There’s no way your workout can go wrong…

[sung to the tune of “I Feel Pretty” from West Side Story]

So I’m not going to be a lyricist any time soon… But Friday’s biceps and hamstrings workout was great. The deadlift sets were:
1 x 7 @ 21.5 Kg / 47.4 lbs
1 x 7 @ 36 Kg / 79.4 lbs
1 x 10 @ 45 Kg / 99.2 lbs
1 x 10 @ 42.5 Kg / 93.7 lbs
1 x 10 @ 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
Not much of a rest period between these sets; I change the weight and then do a minute of step jumps (modified box jumps over one of those aerobic step things). I really like this combination, because everytime I do it I realise how much the mind matters. At the end of that minute of jumping, I am tired and breathing hard and sweaty, but lo and behold I can, less than 30 seconds later, move weight with perfect form.

Speaking of mind, I’m still working on getting the negativity out of my speech. On Thursday man-in-charge asked me how my knee was, and automatically I said “Fine, for now”. And he said, “Why 'for now'?”. Good question. I have to stop anticipating the worst in everything.

The gym was crowded, as usual for a Friday. I'm thinking of re-arranging my Fridays so that I get to the gym early in the morning. The big rush starts after 12 noon, as people try to get their workout in and still have time for last minute errands before Shabbat. At the end of the workout I paused for a minute and watched a guy at the squat rack, doing a gorgeous set of squats – perfectly smooth up and down, excellent depth. In the changeroom one of the women told me that we had both worked “like horses” today. I like that image. As long as we're talking about these horses, or maybe those. :-)

I noticed a couple of new faces at the gym. I attribute this to Jewish New Year being around the corner. People are making the usual get-into-shape-lose-weight resolutions.

The next few weeks will be a challenging one for getting to the gym the usual 5-6 times. Tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdy will be no problem, but Thursday we’re going on a field trip to the Galilee, and won’t be back till Friday at 3:00pm, which is when the gym closes on Fridays. Then the following week the gym will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday for Jewish New Year.

I had a headache all day today. I think it is a combination of falling asleep late last night and then waking up this morning and not being able to get to the food. My newest flatmate hosted a Shabbat dinner last night with ten guests (their boisterous singing = me not falling asleep till midnight), and two of the guests stayed over. One slept with flatmate in her room, and the other slept in the living room. When I woke up this morning around 7:00am all ready to get my first breakfast, I realized that it would mean going through living room to get to the kitchen and waking up said guest. So I stayed in my room for a few hours and got hungrier. Fortunately I had a large water bottle with me so at least I wasn’t hungry AND thirsty. I’m not doing that again. It’s not like anyone asked me to not wake up the guest, it was just my concept of hospitality. Flatmate had invited me to the dinner, but I declined. I was planning to wake up early and read most of the day, and I wasn't in the mood for worrying about guest prep. Once I did get to the food it was clean, and water was 3L+.

Shabbat is over, and I need to run into town to get a couple of things. Once Shabbat ends many stores re-open for a couple of hours, which makes up for the early closing on Friday.

6 Comments:

At 8:37 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Original tune to chant while deadlifting. Although, I think you need to put an edge to it. After all, it is deadlifting. Maybe sung to a Metallica tune perhaps?

Nice job keeping that good form on your deads. You'll always want to make sure your form is spot on.

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger chaos said...

Long post from Mich today! 1. song is really too much, Mich, wow. 2. This could be a stupid question, but I will put it out there anyway. How straight do you keep your knees when you deadlift? 3. Having lived with countless housemates, and couch surfed countless times, I can assure you without a doubt that you do not have avoid the common area in which a guest is sleeping. Esp if such avoidance causes you a headache!

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Agree completely with Liz on the whole common area thing. You were being waaay too nice! Liz, here's a vid of a conventional deadlift. You'll see there's lots of knee bend.

 
At 5:23 PM , Blogger Steph said...

I'm from the Clyde, where those horses are from. Sadly the people aren't built as built as big as their equine companions.

 
At 4:59 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Jon - I think an Ode to Squats done to a Metallica tune would be great. I'll see what I can do :-) And thanks for the vid link.

Liz - I've put the deadlift pics in the next post. Next time I'll just mention to guest the night before that I'm going to pass through their sleep area around 0600, and that if I inadvertantly wake them up they can go right back to sleep...

 
At 10:39 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I look forward to it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home