Sunday, September 25, 2005

Sunday Night Gym Report

First, in response to Liz's perfectly sensible question on the previous post: my legs are bent for most of the movement when I deadlift, because I'm doing a regular deadlift, and not a stiff legged deadlift.

Second, oh what a sweet sweet chest workout today. It's not about the weights - the observant reader will note that the deadlift weights I mentioned yesterday are lower than the weights I was doing on the old program for the same exercise (of course, on the old program I wasn't leaping over an aerobic step in between sets.... Today was about everything being in the right place and moving smoothly. Form was solid on every single set: arch was strong, chest was up, bar was travelling the path it was supposed to travel, scapulae were where they were supposed to be... I'm finally seeing the result of all the shoulder and tricep work. The bench press weights were:
1 x 7 @ 20 Kg / 44.1 lbs
1 x 7 @ 32.5 Kg / 71.7 lbs
1 x 8 @ 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
1 x 8 @ 35 Kg / 77.2 lbs
1 x 8 @ 35 Kg / 77.2 lbs
And to make things even more fun, there were stomach vacuums in between sets.

Gym very quiet tonight. Not sure where everyone was, but I'm not complaining. I had all the equipment I needed all to myself - bench, dbs for the floor flyes and shoulder work, and the cable station for the lying infraspinatus exercise. WeatherGuy was there, working chest and shoulders. Next time I see him I will ask him what his sport is, if he has one. He's very lean and very strong, but I think a bit too tall to be a gymnast. TrainerGuy and A were also there - A was even louder than usual - I was inside the women's changeroom and I could hear him perfectly. There was one newbie young woman who was doing just fine now that she was training on her own, without the peanut gallery comments of her friend (sibling?). There was also one not-really-newbie lady who was using the 1 Kg dbs to do some exercise or other and then dropping them from a great height. Hello? If it's stupid with 100 lbs (which it is), it damn well is stupid with 2.2 lbs. Renovations are starting; rumour is that the big room that used to be a dojo will hold pilates, spinning and boxing classes.

A reminder that the Carnival of Health and Fitness will be up tomorrow, hosted by the talented Marla at Someday is Now. If you haven't sent in a post, why not? Readers are a good thing!

And a further reminder that Pink Dumbbells is up. If you are a woman who trains seriously, check it out.

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM , Blogger Steph said...

Cool, a pink lifting blog! Nice to see some folks are at the same stage as me :)

PS> with the pull up thing you should have a track hidden on your ipod (something awful like 'walking on sunshine') that you can play while doing your victory dance.

You'll NEVER have to wait for a weight bench ever again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home