Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Small Things

The day did not start out well. I went to sleep at 2:00am, which meant that when my alarm went off at 7:00am I ignored it and went back to sleep. I suspect I may have laughed derisively at it while snoring. Woke up again at 10:00am. I hate waking up that late. It makes me feel like the day is shot. No classes today because most of the school is away on a field trip to the Galilee. Like a damn fool I basically wasted the entire day. The only productive thing I did was housework. Two loads of laundry, dish washing. Made a feeble attempt at some reading but my inner lazy person won out. Pathetic.

The stupid thing was that I put all (yes, all) my gym clothes in the laundry, and since we don't have a dryer and everything hangs on a line to dry, I had nothing to wear to the gym. So no gym tonight, which did not improve my gloomy disposition. Did I mention that I only have two sports bras that actually fit now? Everything else is too big and no longer supportive. Around 7:45pm I decided to salvage what I could from this stupid day and get my grocery shopping done. But before that I went to Ha-Tav Ha-Shmini (The Eighth Note), a Jerusalem music store, to buy a cd I've been wanting for some time. On the way to the store I passed by several cafes, and at one of them I saw a big white dog sitting by a table. I think it was a white German Shepherd, but I'm not positive. Now, I like large dogs, and plan to get one the day I have a place of my own. So I smiled at the dog, and then I realised that the dog's owner was smiling back at me. It took me a second to process this information, since my brain was still in sleepy-mode. Dog owner turned out to be none other than ShoulderGuy from the gym. Thank goodness I bothered to look up from the dog (I don't always).

I asked if the dog was his (yes) and if I could pet it (also yes, but he cautioned me that the dog is exuberant and likes to jump up on people). As it turned out, dog didn't do any jumping. ShoulderGuy was sitting with a friend of his, so after half a minute of petting the dog I said good night and moved on. However, the stop lifted my mood immeasureably. It's the small things.

I bought the cd, and then walked to the supermarket and stocked up on cottage cheese, veggies and FF yogurt. This way tomorrow I only have to get laundry detergent and my shopping is done. They have incredible flavours of FF yogurt here: strawberry, blueberry cheesecake, coconut-banana, apple pie, pear, mango... Coconut-banana is my current favourite. I mix it with cottage cheese.

I also made a to-do list for tomorrow and for Sunday, both of which are going to be full and active days. That's a self-promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home