Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Operation No Backslide

I went to the gym earlier than usual yesterday because I had an afternoon off from school. I did shoulders and triceps, and everything went well until the last exercise, which is a cable pullover variation done lying on the floor. I was tired, and I think I was also anticipating the rest of the day, because for the second time this month I had little left for that last exercise.

Horrible terrible no good very bad news: gym will be closed for renovations from Oct 2 - Oct 12, and that's assuming that everything gets done on schedule. Since I will be on a field trip on Thursday and Friday, and since the gym is always closed on Saturdays, it means my last day of training before the renovations will be this Wednesday (eek!). I might attempt to sneak in a workout on Thursday morning at 0630am - but it will be tight - I have to be on the bus ready to leave for the Galilee field trip at 8:30am, and there's rush hour traffic and construction between me and the school.

So what to do between Oct 2 and Oct 12? I'm thinking of body weight exercises - squats, push ups, the usual abdominal stuff, and doing a lot more walking up and down Jerusalem streets with a backpack full of books. Speaking of backpacks, I decided to weigh my backpack (Got on scale without backpack, got on scale with backpack). Turns out it's around 12lbs with the laptop. So, from home to school with 12lbs on my back takes around half an hour. I wonder what it would take me with a 25 lbs pack? I always thought these things looked like fun, but they are not in my budget so I am improvising.

The other thing I will be doing is tracking my food and water very closely so I can get right back into things when the gym re-opens. I'm calling these two weeks Operation No Backslide. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

4 Comments:

At 10:48 AM , Blogger chaos said...

Hi Mich, thanks for the clarification on the deadlifts. I didn't realize that there are two distinct kinds. Good to know. For Operation No Backslide, how about trying something completely different and out of your usual exercise habits. Your body might actually really benfit from the change. I know that you don't like cardio, so how about boxing or crew? And I have to suggest it, even though I have a feeling that you won't be into it: yoga?

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

I think body weight exercises would be great - there's so many tortuous variations available!

 
At 12:44 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Liz - great suggestions. Unfortunately crew is geographically impossible in Jerusalem. Rowing in Israel takes place in Tel Aviv, Haifa and Tverya (Tiberias) but not in Jerusalem. Boxing would be fun. I have a pair of sparring gloves which have gone unused since I got here. Yoga... hmm, I have a couple of classmates who are into it so I will ask them about it with an open mind. :-)

Marla - Absolutely. I remember reading Inside the Lion's Den and seeing some that I wanted to try. I'm going to see if I can dig up a copy.

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger Jon said...

The bodyweight exercises can fend off the backslide well. Use different grips for push ups (close, wide, high, low), try furniture dips, pull ups and chinups are a staple (if you need assistance, make sure your feet can touch the floor), situps/ab work, squats, lunges etc. A set of cheap dumbells also can really help during these times.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home