Monday, September 12, 2005

Legs

Woke up 6:20am, had school from 8:30am to 1:00pm, gym and homework in the afternoon, and back to school from 7:30pm-9:30pm. Quad dominant day in the gym: First squats, then machine hack squats, and by the time I got to freestanding hack squats (heels on block) I had nothing left in my quads. I ended up doing them with no weight. None. The challenge is staying upright, keeping my back perfectly straight as I go down. I don't mind doing a no-weight exercise. The form is more important (duh!) and the weight will come eventually, And all this quad work should help my squat catch up with my deadlift. But in a word, ow!

I was very tired, but fortunately there was good music playing in the gym. During my squats there was Sweet Child of Mine by G'n'R and then We Are the Champions by Queen. Then during the frustrating hack squats the TV suddenly blared "Legs" by ZZ Top. "She's got legs, she knows how to use them" seems to me to be the perfect lyrics for a quad-dominant day. The rest of the song isn't so helpful, but that line is enough to get me through the set.

There was a gaggle of teenage boys in the gym today. They range from scrawny to thin, and they are usually amusing. One of them, approaching man-in-charge for advice, decided to stand directly in the path of my bar as I was getting reading to do my second last set of squats. If I hadn't checked before starting the descent it would have smacked him in the shoulder blade. Ahem. I was about to say something, and then man-in-charge told him to move.

One lovely thing happened today: one of the regular gym guys asked me to help him move the bar from a lower rung of the squat rack to a higher rack. :-) Which may not sound like much, but there are guys in the gym who still have a hard time accepting that I can strip a bar by myself. One was using the hack squat machine a few weeks back, with several 45lb plates on it. I asked him earlier how many sets he had left, and he said two. After he did his second set, I double-checked with him that he was indeed done with the machine, and began stripping the plates from it. You'd think the sky had fallen. I pointed out to him that I would rather help out in removing the plates then twiddle my thumbs while he took a (well-deserved) rest before doing it himself.

Nearly midnight, and I want six hours of sleep tonight, or as close to that as possible. Tomorrow will be long - classes 0830-1145, 1200-1300, 1430-1700 and 1715-1915.

1 Comments:

At 8:01 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

That guy must be very confident to allow a chick to help him! Men... they're so cute.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home