Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Program Winding Down: Ham Dominant

Except the minor issue on the curls, it was a wonderful workout. :-) Definitely ended on a high note.

Deadlifts
1 x 8 @ 27.5 Kg / 60.6 lbs
1 x 8 @ 42.5 Kg / 93.7 lbs
1 x 8 @ 54 Kg / 119 lbs
1 x 8 @ 52.5 Kg / 116 lbs
1 x 8 @ 50 Kg / 110 lbs

2/3 Deadlifts: go down, go 2/3 of the way up, go down again. Basically a technique tune-up of an exercise, making sure the shoulders and hips are moving when and where they're supposed to be moving.
1 x 8 @ 22.5 Kg / 49.6 lbs
1 x 8 @ 32.5 Kg / 71.7 lbs
1 x 8 @ 41.5 Kg / 91.5 lbs
1 x 8 @ 40 Kg / 88.2 lbs
1 x 8 @ 35 Kg / 77.2 lbs

Hamstring Curls
1 x 8 @ 10 Kg / 22 lbs
1 x 8 @ 16 Kg / 35.3 lbs
1 x 6 @ 20 Kg / 44.1 lbs This was supposed to be a set of 8 but I failed at the 7th rep. Totally failed. It wasn't a mental lapse like most of my failures; my hamstrings had nothing left. This has never happened to me before on this exercise, and I was very annoyed when it happened, because things had been going so well, but obviously I'd rather fail here then on the deads.
1 x 8 @ 15 Kg / 33.1 lbs
1 x 8 @ 15 Kg / 33.1 lbs

Single Leg Cable Kickbacks
1 x 8 @ 9 Kg / 19.8 lbs
1 x 8 @ 14 Kg / 30.9 lbs
1 x 8 @ 18 Kg / 39.7 lbs
1 x 8 @ 16 Kg / 35.3 lbs
1 x 8 @ 15 Kg / 33.1 lbs

Abwork was 5 sets of 12 of stomach vaccuums and 5 sets of 12 of v-ups.

Man-in-charge asked me to go through the program and mark exercises that are comfortable with a +1 and any that are uncomfortable with a -1, in preparation for the re-design. The thing is, everything is pretty comfortable and while I can think of things I'd like to do (Front squats or Zerchers squats on my quad-d day and pull-throughs for my ham-d day), I can't think of what I would remove to make room for them. As much as I would love to spend more hours in the gym; I can't. Not with the amount of studying we're expected to do in my program. Suggestions are welcome. (As long as they don't involve cardio. :-) More on my lack of cardio work in a future post.)

I think I'll ask about the pullthroughs and about adjusting my back/pull day so that there's a pull-up somewhere on the horizon. I'll also ask about a GPP day. I've seen some of the guys in the gym pick up a medium sized heavy bag and go up and down a little step in between their sets. It looks like fun. I can't do the bag (yet!) but I could probably do a weight plate. Man-in-charge doesn't like anyone sitting down or resting between sets, so I pace back and forth (think fat tiger in cage) psyching up for the next set by talking to myself.

2 Comments:

At 6:18 PM , Blogger Scott said...

No cardio - sounds great :)

Re: trying to slip some things like zerchers into your routine, why not just swap squats for zerchers (every few weeks), rdl for pull-throughs etc?

 
At 2:27 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Good point.

I've been thinking about it some more and decided that the new exercises can wait 3-4 months till program #2 is done. Priority one is to keep improving the regular squat and dead and bench, priority two is to drop more weight and get a pullup.
Then I'll get more creative with the workouts and swap things in and out to see if I like them. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home