Thursday, August 11, 2005

I Asked For It

Well, I asked for it, didn't I? Today was the first day of the new program. It is a five day split, and I didn't really look at the other four days except to make sure that squats were still there, which they were. If I had to describe it in one sentence it would be: let's drag Mich's weak points into the sunlight and beat them into submission...

The first day is Chest, and it starts off with bench press, which is the only thing I recognized. I don't know the names of the other three exercises, and my searches through Exrx and T-Nation haven't turned up anything yet. The second exercise is a flye variation done lying on the floor, but I'd say it's closer to a lateral raise done while flat on your back, so more a deltoid exercise than a chest flye. Then there's a single arm db floor press, and finally a lying cable infraspinatus exercise. The point of all this work is to get me to keep my chest up when I bench press.

Each of the first three lifting exercises is supersetted with ab work, which scared me a little when I saw it on the paper, but it worked out fine. I finish a set of bench presses, do one set of stomach vacuums (or crunches, or leg lifts), strip the weights, add the weights, and still have about 20 seconds to think about the next set. It actually helps keep me focused.

The lying cable infraspinatus exercise is supersetted with what I originally thought were side leg raises. I was a little puzzled; what the heck was this Jane Fonda nonsense doing in my program? So I asked man-in-charge what it was good for. Turned out it's more like 30 seconds of dynamic stretching, which he says I need in order to improve the way I come up out of the bottom of the squat. I wonder if the other days have little easter eggs like that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home