Monday, July 18, 2005

Vanity

Went to the gym last night and had a great ham-dominant workout. Deadlifts went great, except on a couple of reps I was pulling my shoulders too far backwards when coming up. There is such a thing as too much scapular retraction...

I have different songs associated with different exercises in my head. When I do squats, I usually think of "I Will Survive": "first I was afraid" - left hand on bar, "i was petrified" - right hand on bar, "kept thinking I could never live without you by my side" - duck under bar and position the shoulders, and so on, and by the time I get to "and I grew strong", I've stepped out of the rack and I'm ready to make the weight move. When I do deadlifts, it's Kickstart My Heart, and benchpress, for now, is Paradise City by G'n'R. I have no idea why. Maybe it was playing on the gym's tv during a particularly good set.

Since I got out of hospital I've been working out during the day, and so I haven't seen the nighttime regulars. Two people told me I lost weight. I prefer the way one of them put it. "You lost weight. I don't know if that was the goal, but you did." I smiled, because it made me feel good to have someone acknowledge that there is such a thing as a woman in the gym for other reasons than weight loss. "It wasn't," I said, "But it was..." and here I paused because I couldn't think of the Hebrew word for "fringe benefit". Luckily the other person completed the sentence, "a side-effect", she said. "That's it," I said, "A side-effect."

Right now I actually want the weight loss to be very very slow and gentle, absolutely not more than one pound per week, and I'll take half a pound per week, thanks very much. Yes, obesity is a risk factor for gallstones, but if you go to this University of Maryland site, and scroll down to the Obesity and Weight Changes section, you discover that:
The risk for gallstones is highest in the following dieters:
Those who lose more than 24% of their initial body weight.
Those who lose more than 1.5 kg (3.3. lb) per week.
Those on very low-fat, low-calorie diets.
Lovely. And if that wasn't enough, "gallstone surgery was 68% higher for women who lost and then regained more than 20 lb at least once than in women whose weight remained stable". Why wasn't that ever brought up in my junior high health class, hm?

Went for acupuncture session #2 this morning. In a word, "Ow!". Either he picked more sensitive spots this time, or I have morphed into a chicken. I think that TCM Guy is having a problem with the fact that I am a skeptic about alternative medicine just like I'm a skeptic about conventional medicine. Well, tough. "There are more things in heaven and earth, TCM Guy, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." with apologies to Shakespeare, Hamlet (I, v, 166-167).

I have a family function tomorrow night, so after acupuncture I went to the salon. Manicure, pedicure, haircut and a few other things later, I walked out a new woman. Or the same woman, just more vain. :-)

1 Comments:

At 3:05 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

When I do deadlifts, I concentrate on pushing up with my heels and sort of squeezing my butt forward/under at the end of the lift (if you can follow what I'm trying to say). I find it finishes out the move without letting me go so far as to arch my back, which tends to happen if I try to put my shoulders back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home