Saturday, July 02, 2005

Irony

Edmund: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yeah, it's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made of iron.

Blackadder 3.1: Dish and Dishonesty
I spent most of Saturday in bed, writhing in pain, trying futilely to find a comfortable position. The pain that had started Wednesday had gotten progressively worse. Around 3pm I took two reg Tylenols, at 7:00pm I took two more, and at 9:00pm two more. At 10:00pm I was forced to concede that none of this had helped at all. I was still in great pain.

I dragged myself upright at 11:30pm and took a cab to Terem, the 24 hour emergency medical clinic (founded by Dr. David Applebaum). I arrived at 00:25, and emerged more than two hours later at 2:35am. Saturday night is an extremely busy time at the clinic. While I was there a slew of ultra-Orthodox kids with broken bones came through, then babies with assorted maladies (dehydration, ear infection). The lady that came in just before me had something that required an IV. A man came in with burns to his left arm caused by a Shabbat hot water urn. In short, anything and everything.

I ran into a Pardes person at the clinic, which reinforces my experience that one Pardes person cannot go anywhere in Jerusalem without encountering another Pardes person.

They did a urine test, then the doctor saw me, palpated, and discovered that my upper right abdomen was pain central. The nurse came in and did a blood test. So far so good, but then the blood machine broke down, and then my blood sample vanished. Then the doctor told me that what he suspects - but won't know for sure until he has bloodwork - is that I have a biliary colic.

The end of the story is that I have to go back to the clinic in four hours, around 6:30am, so that they can take more blood, run the tests on the then-fixed (we hope) machine, and tell me for certain what I have. In the meantime, they gave me a shot of Voltarin to deal with the pain until morning.

Update I: 7:30am: I went back to the clinic at 6:30am. It was much quieter. Turns out they found my blood sample and ran the tests on it. Everything came back normal. Doc still thinks it was a gallstone though. He gave me a referral for an ultrasound to make sure. I have to call the insurance company (they open at 8:30am) and have them ok it. So now I'm waiting, hoping the pain doesn't come back. I still think it's ironic that now that I'm eating healthy and exercising, I suddenly get sick. Makes you want to go bury your sorrows in ice cream.

Update II: 12:43pmAfter an hour of calling around and inevitable linguistic misunderstandings, I have an appointment for an ultrasound on July 12th - that was the earliest I could get. I'm exhausted and I need sleep. Not sure what I'll do if I'm still in pain this afternoon, but one crisis at a time.

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

OMG! You poor thing! I hope you are able to get this taken care of swiftly and painlessly. Let us know what happens.

On another note, just wanted to say I LOVE Blackadder. Didn't know anyone else had even heard of that program.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home