Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Fun Never Stops

As I was finishing my next to last set of close-grip bench presses yesterday, one of the gym regulars, LW, wandered by.

"That's a guys' exercise," he said. I laughed at him.
"A guys' exercise?" I repeated, "Horizons need widening,"
"Are you saying I'm narrow-minded?" he asks.
"No," I said, "I'm saying that you need to get out more."
LW goes up to the nearest person, who happened to be TrainerGuy.
"She said I'm narrow-minded," he says to TrainerGuy.
"Huh?" says TrainerGuy.
"I said that that was a guys' exercise," LW explains, gesturing at the bench press.
"I've seen girls do it before," says TrainerGuy.
"Other than her," says LW.
"Um" says TrainerGuy.

I'm laughing at both of them as this little conversation unfolds. I believe LW when he says he hasn't seen girls use the benchpress before, but a guys' exercise? *sigh*

Then today, the former NiceGuy turned out to be EvangelicalGuy, in Israel on a two year mission. Since I'm big on both freedom of speech and freedom of religion, I don't have a problem with someone trying to tell me their "Good News", but I really did not expect that I'd have to fend off missionaries in a Jerusalem gym. Everytime we spoke today he put a comment designed to make the average Jewish listener doubt his faith into the conversation. I laughed at him too. Fortunately, my career goal is to be a Judaics teacher in a Jewish Day School. Helping my future students handle missionaries is part of the job description, so I'm quite pleased he tried his speeches on me rather than on someone else. (Oh, and if you're Jewish and some overeager missionary is trying to save you between deadlifts, check out this site for help. Lots of stuff there, so you may want to start with the FAQ.)

2 Comments:

At 9:10 AM , Blogger chaos said...

Wow, crazy how slow some things change. I am usually the only woman in my gym's free weight room. The women seem to stay with the machines. Oh, and they like to balance on a big green ball while doing "push-ups" in the corner too. Don't know what that's about. I prefer the dead-lifts. I guess youare changing assumptions, one meat head at a time?

 
At 1:12 PM , Anonymous Mae said...

Why do Christians have such a burning desire to try to convert people? None of my Jewish friends try to convert me (I was baptized Protestant, am now an atheist).

When I "come out" to Jewish friends, it's no big deal. When I "come out" to Christian friends, it always, to some extent, changes the dynamic of the friendship.

I don't care what religion my friends are, I just want them to be happy with their lives! I won't try to de-convert you, if you don't try to convert me. Geesh.

Anyway, congrats on taking it all in stride. I guess it's helpful for you to get practice dealing with this, given your chosen career path!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home