Saturday, July 16, 2005

Doc to Gym to Market

First thing Friday morning I went to see my "regular" doc. Regular meaning that he's at the clinic where I go for non-emerg stuff, and I've seen him once before now. He's the older Australian gentleman I mentioned before, and he took the time to talk to me, which I really appreciate. He also tends towards taking out the gallbladder, but he did at least acknowledge that there is a possibility that I won't have another attack. He looked at my hospital tests, pointing out all the things that are NOT wrong with me. He noted that if I decide to get married and have a baby, there is a heightened chance that it could come back during pregnancy. (I like his optimism on this point. Believe me, there are no candidates on the horizon.) He said that I could go for years with no problem, but it could come back at any moment, when I least expect it and when it is very inconvenient.

I've been reading about gallbladders and gallstones incessantly, to the detriment of my university paper writing. Do you know that if you do a search on PubMed for cholecystitis you get 12898 scientific journal article abstracts? If you search for acute cholecystitis you get 3658. I still haven't decided what I am going to do. On the maybe-no-surgery side of the argument, I found this article as well as this article interesting.

In the gym on Friday I shared the squat rack with that rarest of rarities; a man doing lunges. And what beautiful lunges they were. It was quad-dominant day, which means I use the rack for awhile, 5 sets of squats and 5 sets of 2/3 squats, so having someone work-in with me makes more sense than them waiting till I'm done. My rest periods are long-ish, so there was time for a bit of conversation.

Man: Are you working towards a specific goal?
Me: Um, to lift as much weight as possible?
Man: I figured that. I mean other than that.
Me: Oh, to see how far I can get.

By the next rest period I got around to asking him if he had a specific goal. Turns out his goal is mountain climbing. He looks built for it, too. Not heavy, just lean and muscled. He said something about working towards level six (I may not have understood him correctly.) I was going to ask him to clarify but I had more sets to do and he was done for the day.

I went to the market in the afternoon and bought veggies; I'm working on a minimum of two big salads a day. Today's first salad was a tomato, two cucumbers, one green pepper and one red pepper, all chopped into tiny pieces and dressed with a teaspoon of olive oil, three teaspoons of lemon juice, a pinch of salt and a pinch of ground black pepper. I also bought granny smith apples and fresh figs. I love cold fresh figs.

Via this post at The Agitator, I learned that the Center for Science in the Public Interest is lobbying for warning labels on soda cans. Do these people have nothing better to do with their lives? As far as I'm concerned, all foods already have warning labels. They're called INGREDIENTS!!! He also had another post, where he quoted John Stossel: "government that's big enough to tell you what to eat ... is government big enough to tell you with whom you can have sex. Yup.

2 Comments:

At 8:48 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

As far as I'm concerned, all foods already have warning labels. They're called INGREDIENTS!!!

I love that - are you quoting someone or did it come from your own brilliant mind? Either way, I am totally stealing it for my own blog. Hee!

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger Mich said...

To the best of my knowledge, I'm not quoting anyone; I'd credit it otherwise. I've just felt that way for a long time and finally articulated it. I'd love to know if someone else has had the same thought. :-)

Every time I think of warning labels, I think of Paperweight, a collection of articles by Stephen Fry that I read a long time ago. If memory serves, he was making fun of a label on toffee that warned that the toffee might be sticky...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home