Saturday, July 09, 2005

Chop!

Awaiting the sensation of a short, sharp shock,
From a cheap and chippy chopper on a big black block!

The Mikado
The question is, do I go for the cholecystectomy or not? The docs at the hospital all said that removing the gallbladder is the solution. They believe that there will be another attack, if not right away then sometime in the next year or later. They have the odds on their side, since 70% of people who have an attack will experience another one. At the same time, however, I'm nervous about the idea of surgery. There's no such thing as a simple operation. We're talking about going in and removing piece of my body. What if I am in the 30%? Is there something I can do to increase my odds of being in the 30%?

There are many sites on the internet promoting "liver cleanses" or "gallbladder flushes".*sigh* That, folks, is what happens when kids grow up without chemistry sets. See this site as to why these are not a useful thing. You'll also learn a possible origin of the expression "snake oil" while you're there. I don't have anything against alternative solutions, mind you. The husband of one of my classmates is finishing up his degree in Chinese medicine, and I think I will call him up and see if he has any thoughts on gallstones.

I am going to do a few things while I'm thinking about it. My diet is currently 40P-30C-30F, approximately, since I have not been tracking these things to the gram. I will adjust fat downwards. I'm not sure yet if this will be 40P-40C-20F, or possibly 35P-45C-20F. I need to think about it some more. I will also track obsessively for awhile, so that I know precisely when, what type, and how much fat I am taking in, and I can identify any foods that cause gastric distress.

The whole experience is making me that much more aware of what I put in my mouth. I focused on veggies and fruit today: for one meal I made a salad using a tomato and two cucumbers, and also ate a plum, an apricot, and some grapes. For the other meal I made a salad using a tomato, two cucumbers, a handful of spinach and a granny smith apple, then also ate two apricots and a small nectarine.

The healthy eating and execising will continue unabated. Even if I do go for the surgery, I'd feel much better impressing the surgeon with my abs. I am sure that he or she will be much happier to slice through (or rearrange) less abdominal fat to get to my gallbladder.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

That's quite a difficult decision. I agree, any surgery is serious. For me, I'd weigh two factors: if you do experience another attack, can you stand to go through the pain again? And then, if you have another attack, is it likely to harm you (other than the blinding pain)? I mean, can it result in death or lasting damage?

Would love to know what the Chinese medicine suggests.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home