Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Almost No Gym Thursday.

It was this close. I'd had a long day, with much walking around in the sun, and I was tired. At 8:00pm I was at home, waiting for my cousin to call me back and tell me whether he wanted to go for coffee tonight or breakfast tomorrow. He opted for the latter, and once I disconnected I looked at my watch, saw that it was 8:11pm, and decided that there was no way that I was letting myself have two consecutive no-gym days. It's been a tough month and I need all the endorphins I can get. Besides, that's how things start, you take off one day for a legit reason and then another for a non-legit reason, and then on the third day you start making up reasons. Not going to go there, thank you.

I tossed the gym shoes and workout clothes into the backpack, put a motivating cd (The soundtrack to Alvin Ailey's Revelations. If you have not seen this piece on stage I strongly recommend it. It is beautiful, and I am speaking as a non-Christian here. In exercise terms, I defy anyone to remain still while listening to this cd) in the cd player, and off I went. I made it to the gym just minutes before man-in-charge left for the night, so he did give me my max weights, but the critiquing was done by woman-in-charge. She had just finished her own workout, and stuck around to watch over the gym.

There is nothing like quad-dominant day on the 12 rep part of the cycle to keep you humble. Yeah, the weight drops; but those extra four reps between 8 and 12 make a hell of a difference. Even though I had drunk a lot of water and eaten well during the day I was wiped. After each set of squats I slumped momentarily over the bar and concentrated on breathing, then made myself walk around between sets rather than mimic a rag doll for my entire rest period. Speaking of which, the rest periods seemed to fly by.

All of today's running around means that I am now the proud owner of six potted plants. I found out a guy I met last year while looking for apartments in Jerusalem was having a moving sale. Most of his nice plants were already sold, but I did get five green pepper plants and one louisa. I then went to the house of a classmate who is also moving, and bought three clay pots and one plastic pot. I plan to fill them with other herbs: mint, basil, thyme and rosemary would be really nice. I don't have the greatest track record with plants (I have killed cacti with a single glance), but I've wanted an indoor garden since I moved here, and now I have the beginning of one.

When I walked past the President's Residence today, a security guard asked me (and all the other passers-by) to cross over to the other side of the street, since they were about to open the gates and let some cars leave. The interesting thing about the security people that guard the President's Residence or the Prime Minister's Residence or Israeli buses is that they are all invariably good looking. I can't explain it, but there it is. If you don't believe me you should come here for a visit and see for yourself. :-)

1 Comments:

At 10:07 PM , Blogger chaos said...

I love Ailey's work. Never thought to workout to the music, thanks for the suggestion. And good for you for getting back in the gym.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home