Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Talking to Myself

I decided late last night to bid WW farewell. I have one red "missed" slip and one "meeting" slip left, so I'm going to skip next week (July 4), and then go to my last meeting on July 11. Following that, stats will be updated via in-home weighing.

Gym last night was busy but I had the squat rack all to myself :-). Man-in-charge was not there, so I set my own weights and kicked my concentration up a notch, to borrow a phrase from a well known chef. It was a bit of a rough start. After the first set of squats I was thinking I should just go home and come back tomorrow... then I mentally slapped myself and kept going. I took slightly longer rests between sets and slowed the squats down, which helped with the crunching sounds from the knee. I started doing some stretches for the iliotibial band and that helped too.

The other thing I did was talk to myself between sets of squats. I really like the "mental checkpoints" that Jason Burnell describes in this article. I've been working on taking the bar out with only three steps. I once had a trainer who told me to stop dancing with the bar. :-) So I talked to myself, little phrases like "left hand, right hand, duck, shoulders, up, step back one, two, freeze, chest up, abs tight, watch the knee, down strong, up strong", and so on and so forth. It sounds peculiar but it helps.

1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

I talk to myself constantly, giving myself instructions and frequently arguing back, whether working out or grocery shopping. It's bad.

I think you should use the money you would have spent on WW and treat yourself to something fitness-related you've always wanted!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home