Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Crunching Sounds

Tonight I shared the squat rack with a guy who told me that leg day is his most hated workout day. I'm always a little sad to hear that, because I love leg day. Both leg days, actually, the quad dominant and the ham dominant. Perhaps it's different for women; since we don't have the same upper body muscle mass as the guys do, it's easier for us to see progress in lower body than it is to see it in the upper body. I don't mean losing fat; most of the fat I've lost has come from my upper body. I mean how fast the weights go up in terms of what I can lift.

So leg day = sweet, even on a night like tonight, when leg day = pretty damn frustrating. First of all, it's back to 12 reps on the max sets, so the cycle starts all over again. Second, my right knee was unstable, making crunching sounds. So we slowed everything down and dropped the weight down. I did mention that man-in-charge has laser vision and can spot a form break at twenty paces, yes? He told me to concentrate on keeping my right knee solid in the descent and in the ascent of my squat. It should not wobble in and out like some jello equivalent. (He didn't use those words, but that's what came to my mind.) On my last two sets of the 2/3-up-and-down-again squat variation I was using just the bar, and I was fighting for every damn rep from the eighth to the twelfth.

On the positive side, hearing crunching sounds from one's body is a good reminder to take the fish oil capsules regularly. In the beginning of June, Lonnie Lowery had a good article on T-Nation called Nutrition vs. Injury. For me the money quote was towards the end, about logging injuries in my training log. So I noted tonight when things crunched and when they didn't. I also make a mental note to do some static stretching post-workout or in the morning. I do dynamic stretching prior to the workout, but I think some additional work would come in handy.

I also logged all food today. Came up a little short, around 1600 kcal instead of the 1800 I was aiming for. I am too tired at this point to go find something that will give me another 200. However, water intake was good, green tea intake was good, and I bought more veggies this morning so I'm all set to tomorrow. I need to stock up on cottage cheese; I'm down to my last cup of the stuff. I realised today that 1 lb of veggies is about all I can eat in one sitting. Anymore than that and it feels like I'm trying to force it down rather than enjoying my food. I don't know about you, but I need to enjoy what I'm eating or this endeavour will go nowhere.

The other day, Mae at The Pretty Face had a post with a Star Wars (actually ESB) quote that really hit the spot for me. So I went and dug up this Michael Jordan quote I got from T-Nation back on April 14, and which I think bears repeating:
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

1 Comments:

At 3:23 PM , Anonymous Mae said...

Hey, I like that Jordan quote! I'm gonna have to remember that one. I just read a similar type of quote from some guy in Reader's Digest about failure, and how it is needed in order to succeed!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home