Thursday, May 12, 2005

Wednesday Night Gym Report

The gym was quiet due to the eve of Yom Ha-Atzmaut (Independence Day). Most people were getting started on the partying. This meant that there were only five or so people in the gym, so man-in-charge could actually give us a lot of attention. Usually he supervises 25+ people at a time.

There are a couple of tv sets hanging from the gym ceiling. Usually they are tuned to an all-music station, but in honour of Independence Day they were tuned instead to the torch-lighting ceremonies from Mount Herzl, which mark the start of the holiday. I get very sentimental watching these ceremonies. Between sets I would walk over to the tv and see who was lighting next. Conclusion: trying to do squats while you're getting all choked up and teary-eyed is not a good idea.

I did ten sets of squats altogether. Five regular and five of the 2/3 variety. This was followed by leg extensions - measly weight, but they burned like and calf raises, and finally ab work.

On my way home I saw lots of people with flags heading to town for the celebrations (there would be music and folkdancing in front of city hall until 3:00a.m.). One woman was wearing a dress made of just the flag. I hope she didn't freeze; it was getting chilly. As I walked home two boys yelled "chag sameach!" (happy holiday) at me from a balcony. I yelled "chag sameach" back at them. I had a huge smile on my face all the way home. I had planned to go to sleep early but the fireworks made that difficult, so I went out on my own balcony and watched the fireworks and then, finally, went to sleep.

Gym is closed today. I had two good meals, and this afternoon I am heading out to an Independence Day BBQ at a classmate's house. After that I plan to check out the living history re-enactment in the Rechavia neighbourhood.

Happy 57th birthday, Israel!

1 Comments:

At 1:03 PM , Blogger chaos said...

Congrats on getting your workout in despite the holidday. We would love to see pictures, if you have them, of all these celebrations.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home