Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Two Good Things

First, yesterday's walk home took only 40 minutes, which surprised me because I thought I was walking slowly. I was listening to a Charles Aznavour cd, which, while beautiful, does not have many fast songs for walking. The lovely weather had something to do with it too, I think.

Second, when I got to the gym last night, I discovered that the squat rack was being used by a man and a woman, both of whom were doing squats with perfect form. The woman did two sets and left, but the man kept going. This is where the cool part comes in. He took it as completely natural that I would be using the rack too, that I would be working in with him, and that the right thing to do is to strip the bar between sets. For the record, he was squatting 225lbs+, so there was a bit of weight to load and unload. In most gyms, someone using the rack would ask you to wait until he or she was done all their sets. I think that in this place, the small size of the gym, combined with the seriousness of most of the members, creates an atmosphere that is more respectful. The fact that I was squating a tiny weight in comparison to what he was squatting was irrelevant. We were both using good form, we are both serious about our workouts, and we both have a right to the rack. Since I was doing 10 sets (5 sets of regular squats and 5 sets of the 2/3 variation), and since he was doing stiff-legged deadlifts right after, we were there for quite a while. Halfway through we were joined by another man, who was doing bent-leg good-mornings, so all three of us shared the rack. And yes, we helped each other load and strip the bar as needed. So we all had slightly longer rest periods than we were used to. It all worked.

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

Sounds wonderful - and it balances out the annoying non-vegetable-eating woman earlier.

I work out at home (I am SUCH a loner) but I find I really like exercising with my husband. That's a big change - I used to not even let him in the room with me when I worked out, I felt so self-conscious. Although, I feel less so now that I do mostly weights and straight-forward cardio - all that prancing around doing mambo and stuff makes me feel silly.

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger chaos said...

Great comment, marla. The prancing mamba sounds hilarious. Your gym sounds great, mich. I lifted in a gym over the weekend. Using something else besides machines made such a difference--really helped me get my body in the right alignment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home