Friday, May 06, 2005

Thursday Night Gym Report

Deadlifts and more deadlifts. Things were a lot smoother. I established some starting weights (no where to go but up). Man-in-charge is a real stickler for form, which is a good thing. He wanted me to lower the weight a bit, saying that I was dropping my shoulders forward as I was coming down. It was a misunderstanding; I thought he wanted me to drop the shoulders forward. What he actually wanted was for me to shift the hips back, and then the shoulders come forward very slightly to help the bar get past the knees without taking off the kneecap (that would be a bad thing). After the deads came hamstring curls; the rests between sets were longer than I wanted them to be since I was sharing the machine with two other people, minor inconvenience. After this came the cable hip extensions and finally ab work.

The talkative guy from Tuesday night was there again, and he told the exact same story! Go figure. Maybe that's his way of motivating himself to lift?

I felt strong, although I think it would have been even better if I had managed to eat something other than two coffees and a small slice of coffee cake in the six hours preceding the workout. Nutrition was very good all through the morning, but in the afternoon I went with a friend of mine to a cafe to discuss an article about armed Jewish resistance during the Holocaust. I thought we would be done quickly and I would get home, have dinner and go to the gym. It didn't quite work out that way.

After the workout was done, I went to the supermarket to pick up some 0% fat plain yogurt. I was in a bit of a hurry because it was getting late and I wanted to get to sleep early. I looked a little bedraggled post-workout; jeans, rumpled t-shirt, exhausted looking face... Suddenly I heard someone calling my name, in English. It was a group of teachers from the school where I did my first student teaching stint in February. They are visiting Israel from the US on a tour. What are the odds? Actually, this sort of thing happens all the time in Israel. It's a small place and you are always going to run into someone you know. This is a very good reason to not leave the gym looking scary. :-) I was very happy to see them, and I am glad they get to see how gorgeous this country, and especially this city, are.

I did have a good post-workout dinner. Task for this weekend: finish all outstanding readings for school, and catch up on sleep!

2 Comments:

At 6:27 PM , Blogger chaos said...

It is so interesting to read about technique of lifting weights. Having no one to show me the "right" way to lift, I just started doing it. I read magazines and had the help of dvds along the way, but mostly it was me making it up. Reading about your work on form, however, makes me want to learn the technique. That's great that you ran into some old friends. It's always when you are rumpled that you run into people. Your weekend goals are contradictory! It's impossible to catch up on reading AND sleep. Good luck!

 
At 3:27 PM , Blogger Mich said...

Liz, go to Stumptuous and once there, click on "training" and then scroll down to the group of links entitled "exercise instruction". My favourite there is a link called "from gym dork to gym diva". Click on that for an excellent article on form, including pics.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home