Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Tactics

No gym last night. On Mondays I get back from the university between 8:30pm and 9:00pm, which does not give me enough time to get food in and go to the gym. Here's what I'm working on doing. I'm not describing my exercises or what I'm eating; that's a whole other post. And how I got to the point where I am thinking this way is yet another post again. I'm describing the what has to happen in order for me to get where I am going. Strategies are all very well, but you need tactics.

Exercise tactics:

1. Work out at the gym on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, and on Friday morning if I am in town and have enough time before Shabbat comes in. It's easy now that the days are long, but during the winter sunset comes early and with it the Sabbath. In addition, I want to use Fridays to see more of Jerusalem.
2. Walk home from school on at least two of Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. (This is 45-60 minutes of walking, which will slowly shrink to 35 minutes, I hope.)

Nutrition tactics:

1. Shop for groceries at the cheap supermarket (tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, green tea) on Monday nights.
2. Shop for fruit and veggies at the Machane Yehuda market on Friday morning or afternoon. Mornings are calmer, but afternoons are cheaper as vendors try to clear their wares before Shabbat.
3. Pack three meals every day in the big lunch bag so that I am eating every three hours.
4. Take the water bottle and the thermal mug, and green tea teabags with me every day.

At school today, one of my classmates told me that I got thinner. It didn't bother me as it once would have. I just smiled and said "It's possible". It makes me happy that I am not as comment-sensitive as I've been for most of my life. Maybe this is what maturity feels like? :-) Whether the comments are positive or negative, they used to make me furious: how dare anyone presume that my shape is any of their business? Regarding the negative comments, one of my cousins tried to explain it to me once, saying that the same people that make negative comments about my shape are the same people who would come up to him and say "Hey, did you know you have a huge dent in your car?" He said he just looks at them and says "Really? That huge one there? No, I never noticed it before you mentioned it."

Now, part of this new-found maturity may be that immediate family and my friends are not nearby. They're in Canada half a world away, which is an advantage when you're making major changes. With the exception of my always supportive sister, they don't know about the process, they'll just see the result when I go back to North America. (You know that saying, attributed to Bismarck, that if you love law or sausages you shouldn't watch either one being made.) But I don't think that this is all of it. I'm being a lot more open and relaxed about what I am doing. (Well, obviously, I'm carrying around a lunch bag that is bigger than my laptop bag...)

2 Comments:

At 8:07 AM , Blogger M@rla said...

I remember a few years ago, when I brought a large lunch container to work (filled with vegetables and salad fixings) the President of the company walking through the lunch room and making a derogatory and insulting remark about how much food I was eating. Way to go! Great leadership! Not to mention being humiliated in front of co-workers.

Some people will make fun of you for being fat, and some people are so low they will make fun of you for trying to change that. You can't win with that form of sub-human, so don't bother trying.

(sorry for the flame, it's a bad memory for me!)

 
At 8:44 PM , Blogger chaos said...

I'd say mature! Wow, another example of your really great attitude.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home