Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Squats

Tuesday night at the gym was all about squats. I am going back to the very beginning (a very good place to start...) and working on technique with just the bar. On the one hand, it is depressing. Having done 150+lbs for reps last year, going back to 45lbs and starting over is not joy and bliss. On the other hand, if Tiger Woods can go back and reconstruct his swing from scratch, who am I to quibble over this?

Some of my weaknesses are obvious: I bend forward too much, using more back and less legs, which turns my squat into a bent leg good morning, albeit a lovely BLGM. :-) Man-in-charge (who was back in the gym last night) also noted some other weaknesses, and adjusted the program: leg press is gone, and in its place came leg extensions and freestanding calf raises with heels together. Most of the time is still spent at the squat rack, of course, doing regular squats and the 2/3 up and back down variation.

Gym was quiet, which is one of the reasons I like working out late in the evening. There were a couple of guys there I hadn't seen before. One talked incessantly throughout his entire workout: his flight, his friends, the girl he recently met... I am surprised he had any strength left for lifting. Almost all the guys were doing upper body; I was monopolizing the squat rack and no one minded, which is just fine by me. :-)

At one point man-in-charge noticed I was getting annoyed at myself and told me not to worry; some people spend years perfecting one move. Ok, I said, but I don't have two years; I have a year and four months, and then I have to go back to North America. Don't worry, he says, you'll go back strong. I think I knew that, on some level, but it helps to hear someone else say it, especially someone who knows what he's doing.

I'm at Hebrew U at the moment. My presentation this morning went fine. I think I benefitted from being the first student to present. Very productive lunch; made photocopies of all the reserve readings I need for next week. I have a class this afternoon which I hope will go quickly, and then I'm going to take advantage of tonight's gym closure to go to the Machane Yehuda shuk and stock up on canned tuna and veggies. I'm also going to prep food for the rest of the week: hard-boiled eggs, salad, et cetera. It's not the will to win, it's the will to prepare to win. (Various forms of this quote attributed to various coaches, including Paterno, Bryant and Knight.)

1 Comments:

At 10:16 AM , Blogger chaos said...

Interesting idea, "the will to prepare to win." Sometimes I think that it's a matter of going through the motions, just doing what needs to be done, and the rest will fall into place. Lots to think about. Slowing down and focusing on form can be great--and really hard. We have those days in yoga sometimes and I am always really sore the next day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home