Monday, May 16, 2005

Monday Morning WW Meeting

Group leader was late again, but I wasn't in as much of a hurry today so I stuck around. I'm down another 1Kg, or 2.2lbs, which means that I have officially left the 170s and and am now in the 160s - 168.2 to be precise. I'm pleased about this because 170 used to be a mental block for me, and it isn't anymore.

I had breakfast before going to the meeting; I don't understand those women who don't eat anything in the morning until they do the weigh-in. Most of them probably wake up around 7:00am to get kids off to school, and the weigh-in is at 9:20am or later. What is the point of walking around hungry and dehydrated for two hours?

The lecture was about reading food labels. Group leader wanted us to practice using the little point calculator thingie (it's a cardboard contraption). I haven't used the thing and don't intend to, so I sat back and relaxed, and munched away on Second Breakfast. We also got a handout about food labels. Strangely enough, no one said anything about avoiding hydrogenated fats and high-fructose corn syrup.

Had a good workout at the gym last night. Upper body never takes as much out of me as lower body. When I squat or deadlift I come out of the gym in a state of euphoric exhaustion. Back or chest is ok, but not the same. I hope this changes one day when I can finally do pullups. The weights are rising nicely on all exercises, and I think I could have gone higher in weight on the seated rows, but man-in-charge nixed that. The man can spot a form break from the other side of the room, and he said I was slouching just a little on the last set, so we took the weight down slightly. I got everything done except the last sets of abwork; gym was closing down and I ran out of time. I had arrived a little later than I wanted to because I spent time preparing meals for today. Gym was busy; I counted six women, easily the highest number I've seen there at one time.

Remember the talkative guy I mentioned a few posts back? Well, he was there, and I am henceforth referring to him as TurkeyGuy. He has yet to shut up, and I have yet to see him do a single lower body exercise. Heck, I've yet to see him do a back exercise. He comandeered the lat pulldown while I was at the end of my two minute rest, saying "you rest now" in my general direction, replaced the handle, and proceeded to do standing ab crunches. I didn't raise a fuss; I'd rather wait until I am squatting what this pompous nitwit weighs; discretion being the better part of valour and all. At one point he went to do a single set of dips, huffing and puffing as if he was giving birth. Now, I do have a certain amount of respect for anyone that can do dips. The thing is, once you've seen someone do a set of dips in perfect form while wearing a loaded x-vest and not grunting at all, you cease to be impressed by the likes of TurkeyGuy. I think his training partner / coach wasn't overly impressed either, because at one point TurkeyGuy was whining about hurting his finger, and coach said "Ok, you're wounded, grievously, you want me to get you a band-aid?" I was doing db shrugs nearby and I somehow managed to not burst out laughing.

I logged all my food yesterday, and I am still not taking in enough. Once you stop eating stuff that comes in colourful boxes, your volume of food needs to go up, hence the new lunch bag (which looks very nice on the chair beside me, full of veggies, fruit, cottage cheese, and other good things.)

2 Comments:

At 6:38 PM , Blogger M@rla said...

High-fructose corn syrup is the devil!!!

Wow, Turkey Guy sounds like such an ass; you are a very patient person.

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger chaos said...

WW rubs me the wrong way, in part because I don't get their diet philosophy? All the desserts and breakfast bars they sell are loaded with unhealthy additives, like high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated fats. Congrats on the loss!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home