Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Last Day of May

Today was the last day of classes at Pardes, (for most of the students - my program has a few more weeks) and so we had a special lunch to celebrate. I had salad and hummus, drank lots of water, and generally ate clean. But lunch had started at 12:30, and with the speeches and singing and goodbyes, we were sitting at the table for over two and a half hours. By the time everything was done I was hungry again, and I inhaled two squares of chocolate cake and a slice of watermelon just before heading out the door. The positive angle is that I ate because I was hungry, and I stopped at two squares. The negative angle is that I ate it way too fast. I should have slowed down, sat down, taken my time, and enjoyed the cake. I ate it standing up, while getting my stuff together and getting ready to go home.

I bought a huge frying pan from one of the students who is going back to the US. Now I have something to use for stirfrying. I am looking foward to adding chicken breast to my menus again. Sometimes I think I should have brought my Foreman grill to Israel with me.

I walked home at a pretty good clip; easy to do when one is listening to songs from the Rocky soundtracks. Once I got there put in two loads of laundry. I also got back on track and had 250g of cottage cheese and two and a half cups of sliced light and dark green peppers for meal #4. I like peppers: they're easy to prep (wash, slice, eat) and are very portable. I'm lazy about food prep.

Remember my conversation with D (he of the outdated "weights will make you bigger" school of thought)? Today we had another conversation. I was wearing one of my favourite t-shirts. It's an Old Navy vintage cut men's t-shirt from two years back, that says on it "Thunder McPhail's Powerlifting Camp". D sees the shirt and asks "You into powerlifting?". "Yes," I say. (This is the first time I've been able to answer this question with "yes", since I am doing a four day split: squat, deadlift, benchpress, assistance.)
D pauses. "How much can you bench press?"
"Come to the gym with me and find out," I say. This is not a question I care for. It's so... cliched. I've never asked someone what she or he benches. Nowadays when I meet a guy or see one in the gym I wonder idly what he can squat, but I would never ask. "Why do you want to know?"
"I want to know if you can kick my a$$," says D. We both laugh. He went on to say that he hasn't benchpressed since he was in college, and that the gym is not in his budget right now. The thing is, I think that if he could work the gym into his budget and start working out he'd probably be posting some big numbers pretty quickly. He looks pretty solid, not reedy. I hope he's not coming across as dumb. He's not. He's a very nice person. In fact, D and his girlfriend have invited me over for dinner on Friday night.

Tomorrow: more about today's squat workout, and a bit about how I was at my heaviest recorded weight, which was 194lbs. For now, I'm off to get some much needed beauty sleep. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home