Friday, May 13, 2005

Gave Up

No, not about the lifting/eating/getting stronger part. I gave up on beating this sinus thing by myself. First thing I did when I woke up this morning was call the medical clinic. They had an appointment for 9:15am. The doctor was one I hadn't seen before, an older Australian gentleman, and he was wonderful. If I happen to get sick again I'm going to ask for him. He listened to what I was saying, he talked to me like an intelligent person, and he gave me prescriptions explaining what each one was for. This is in stark contrast to the automaton I had last time. (I'm not sure what the problem is with med schools over the past 20 years or so, but there seem to be far too many MDs around who are little compassionless robots - people whose only qualification is the A+ they got in Calculus and Algebra, and whose ambition seems to be to get you out of their office as quickly as possible.)

At any rate, I have ethmoid sinusitis, a low grade fever, a post nasal discharge, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera (as the King says in the King & I). However, I now also have things to fight it with, so I can stop feeling miserable and sounding like Kermit the Frog. (Which, when you have the personality of Stadler and Waldorf, is somewhat disconcerting,)

My weekend as soon as papers are done reading: T-Nation have put together their 30 top diet & nutrition articles in one huge yet convenient linkfest of an article. On top of that, they also have a new Berardi article on energy balance. You need to be in a scientific mood for the latter.

The Independence Day BBQ was great; I had burgers and corn on the cob and watermelon for dessert. The living history museum was way too crowded and too dark out for good pictures. But overall, a great day which I capped off by going home and watching The Matrix Revolutions on TV... does Jada Pinkett Smith not look superb in that movie? I found an interview where she says that she was benchpressing 170lbs after training for the Matrix films. Sounds like an excellent goal to me. (I want to eventually bp 1.5 times my body weight, so when I get to my goal of 130lbs, that would mean a bp of 195lbs.)

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM , Blogger chaos said...

Mich! First, my apologies for thinking you are male. Yikes, this really brings out my sexism. I assumed you were a 'he' because you seem to be objective and measured when it comes to losing weight and because you lift weights. Duh! I have an MA in Women's Studies and I assume someone is male because they are rational and know the Timaeus reference? Now that I got that off my chest, I can relate to your experience with docs. Did you find it any better in Canada? And, wow, your bench-pressing goal sure puts me in my place. Thanks for the laugh over the Kermit and Stadler/Waldorf reference! Hope you feel better soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home