Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Tired Tuesday

I need sleep. 12 hours uninterrupted would be perfect. It will have to wait till Friday, however.

Good job on the H2O today; almost three litres. A pretty good food day, too. This morning I had to make a decision: I could take the time to eat breakfast and pack lunch, which would make me late and necessitate a cab to school, or I could skip breakfast and forget about making lunch, and make it to the bus on time. I decided to splurge for the cab. It's about priorities.

Taking lunch isn't really enough: if I am going to be at school from 8:30am to 5:00pm I need to pack at least three meals: 11:00am, 2:00pm and 5:00pm. That way I will have the energy to walk home and to not destroy the fridge when I get there. I need a bigger lunch box, or a bigger backpack. Fortunately, right next to the school (not to Hebrew U; I am studying concurrently in two different places) is a supermarket. I went there at noon and bought a yellow pepper, two tomatoes, an apple and some bread. From home I brought cottage cheese and hard-boiled eggs, and in my locker at school I have natural peanut butter and strawberry jam.

Tomorrow I am at Hebrew U all day. On the way home this evening I went downtown and got sushi for tomorrow's breakfast. I think that as long as I am losing weight I will continue the Wednesday sushi breakfast thing. It makes me feel very satisfied, it helps me not miss the coffee+bagel habit, and it reminds me of Toronto. I only discovered sushi when I was 30. Great stuff. I'd like to make my own, but I don't know the fishmongers here well enough to know who can be trusted for sushi-grade tuna and salmon.

I found out today that my Tanakh [Hebrew Bible] chevruta [study partner] is going back to the US in June. I am going to miss him. He is a great guy, and a pleasure to study with. At some points he is very self-critical, which is strange to hear because I think to myself, "That must be what I sound like when I start doing the negativity thing; not good."

Last year, when I was working out with a trainer back in Toronto, there was one leg day when he told me to do a squat weight I hadn't done before. Jokingly, channelling The Princess Bride, I said to him "Get used to disappointment". Well, trainer had never seen The Princess Bride, and he hit the roof. "What kind of self-defeating statement is that? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I know you can do at least ten reps with this weight..." He had a point. It had never occured to me how negative that line is, divorced from its movie source.

It's almost 10:00pm here and I need to be asleep by 11:00pm if I want to wake up tomorrow at 6:00am. Good night all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home