Friday, March 18, 2005

Friday at the Midrachov

So here I am at the Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall (a.k.a the michrachov, which is a combination of two words: midracha – sidewalk and rechov – street, because the entire street is a sidewalk, clear?) in downtown Jerusalem, sipping a café hafuch (lit. upside down coffee, meaning with lots of milk, a.k.a latte, but you pay less for a café hafuch than you do for a latte, I’ve noticed.)

There is a place I like around here with the incredibly original name “Coffee Shop”, but they don’t have internet access there, so I am at Ben Café instead, which is small but efficient, with a patio that gives a good view of passersby.

I got up this morning with much energy and cleaned out the left hand cupboard in the kitchen. Found a cake there with a best before date of Feb 2003. The cake looked just fine in its package, which makes you wonder what preservatives they put in it. Cleaned out is a bit of a misnomer, because all I really did was throw out everything that had expired.

I organized the middle cupboard with my stuff (oatmeal, canned tuna, green tea, measuring cups) and made a list of things I still need (skim milk, sweetener, veggies). I decided to wait until Sunday before buying veggies, because one of my flatmates gets a mountain of produce from his parents each weekend, and I want to see how much space there is in the fridge and what is missing before I go shopping. I am welcome to share his food, and vice-versa; one of the nice things about my apartment is that we are pretty easy-going about food. Anyone can have anything that is in the fridge.

If I did eat more of the produce I would likely be healthier. Eliminating the Milky food group would be good too. Milky, for those of you not in Israel, is a single serving dairy treat that consists of a chocolate-pudding-like lower half (6% fat, I think) and whipped cream on top. Yummy, but not exactly the hallmark of an intelligent nutrition plan, especially not when you eat them two at a time.

While I am on the subject of dairy products, will someone please start making low-fat cottage cheese in this country? Cottage cheese comes in 1 cup (250g) containers, and in 9% fat, 5% fat and 3% fat. I’m used to getting the 1% in 750g containers back in Canada and going through it rather quickly. I have seen 1.5% fat cottage cheese here, but it isn’t really cottage cheese but some cottage cheese – yogurt concoction. Not helpful.

I also need to get eggs and get back to the days of egg white omelettes. I'll start out with a dozen eggs, and if things go the way I plan, switch to the platter of 36 eggs next week. I used to eat 4-6 whites at a time, so 36 eggs will cover a week.

And last but not least, flowers, because I like flowers on Shabbat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home