Monday, March 21, 2005

First Meeting

The Weight Watchers meeting took place at the local community centre. I arrived three minutes early to find two women puffing away on cigarettes outside. The door was eventually opened, and women started trickling in, grumbling about the fact that the group leader is always late. Now I know that there's no point arriving before 9:10, or even 9:15. The group was all female, except for one older man. The group leader was indeed late, blaming it on traffic jams. A lot of Jerusalem is under construction for the light rail system, and there is even more congestion and traffic than usual. Most of the women were dressed in black. The group had several smaller subgroups: the Hebrew speakers, the English speakers, the French speakers, the senior citizens, the new mothers (with their baby carriages), etc.

Most of the attendees were either obese-fat (like me) or flabby-thin, which is to say, slim but with no muscle.

I couldn't sign up even if I had wanted to do so on the spot, because the group leader didn't know the prices of anything, and the lady who does the actual registration and deals with money had to run out to avoid a parking ticket and then to another appointment. I asked about student discounts and apparently there is one, but all this is on hold until next week.

Interestingly enough, they don't have the new Core plan that is in the US and Canada, just the Points plan. Not that I care one way or the other, because I wouldn't be following either one, but I am curious as to why that is.

I discovered that they don't set your goal weight right away. In Hebrew they call it mishkal kavod or honour weight. First they want you to lose 10% of your body weight, then they wait until you get closer to your undetermined goal weight before setting the final goal. It is based on BMI (dumb, since it doesn't take muscle/fat mass into account but is only a height-weight ratio).

I was impressed by the leader's energy and patience; she sat down at the end of the meeting and answered individual questions from various people.

I packed veggies and cottage cheese for lunch today, but I ended up bringing them back home and eating the veggies for dinner. I have to remember to eat every three hours if I want to get back to working out the way I was working out in 2004.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home