Thursday, March 17, 2005

A Beginning

On Monday, I am going to join Weight Watchers.

Those of you who know me are probably flat on the floor right now, wondering who turned the world up-side-down and what the hell happened. Those of you who don’t know me are saying, “So, who cares?” or “Nu, lemi ze ichpat?” depending on whether you speak English or Hebrew as your native tongue.

The whole thing started because of the flu. It began last Sunday at 3:14am with the sort of major gastro-intestinal distress I would only wish upon Holocaust-deniers, and continued through the week with aches, pains, fever, sore throat, cough, congestion, and most relevant to this story, weakness. It wiped me out. I stayed home from school Tuesday, Wednesday and today, in bed, sleeping and not sleeping. Occasionally I listened to the radio, but mostly I rested. On Wednesday I thought I was strong enough to take out the garbage. By the time I made the two-minute trek out and back all I wanted was to see the bed again.

This flu, which is directly responsible for me missing a much anticipated four day trip to see flowers bloom on the Golan Heights, turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because it gave me time to think. And what I mostly thought about was how I’ve become a sloth over the past seven months.

I had a lot of great plans before I came to Israel. From April 2004 to August 2004, when I was in Canada, I worked out five days a week. I was stronger and had more endurance than I had ever had before. I had a wonderful gym and an amazing trainer, I squatted and bench pressed and deadlifted numbers which made me incredibly happy, and I really thought that once I got to Israel I would join a gym and continue what I had started.

It didn’t work out that way.

There was the initial period when I was looking for housing and commuting two hours a day, then there was the school schedule – my program is extremely demanding, which I love, but it made it harder to find a gym, to watch the nutrition, to do all the things I need to in order to become what I want to become.

Mostly, I had excuses, and so seven months went by, and here I am in March 2005, fat, and unfit, and very annoyed with myself for sliding back to mediocrity.

Now, while I was lying in bed this week, wondering what drove the previous occupant of my room to paint it the colour of D’Artagnan’s horse, I had limited non-academic reading material. I had a couple of old issues of Men’s Health, and two issues of the Israeli fitness / health mag Menta. The back page of one of the Israeli mags had a Weight Watchers ad and a 1-800 number. So I called, spoke to a rather useless woman, and it turned out there was a meeting a mere five minutes from my home.

I decided that this was the solution. What I need most of all is some sort of structure, and WW will be the structure. I don’t need their trite sayings and silly trinkets, and I certainly don’t need their nutritional info, but I do need a place to get weighed; a way to be accountable to myself. I also need (and this may insult those readers who are WW members, but it is not meant to) to remind myself of what I don’t wish to remain, a fat and unfit sloth.

So this coming Monday I will go to the meeting and join up.

Perhaps I was being psychic on my last visit to Canada, but I brought back with me my digital food scale and a set of measuring cups (thanks sis!). I also bought an insulated lunch bag. Today I dragged myself out of bed, went to the supermarket and bought new food containers as well as baskets to store veggies.

Tonight I will go to a different (cheaper!) supermarket and stock up on tuna and oatmeal. Not too much oatmeal, since Pesach will soon be here. Tomorrow I will go to the market and buy veggies and fruit, and I will also update this template with links I like.

2 Comments:

At 11:26 AM , Blogger Poppety said...

A beginning is a very good place to start. I had my first few fruits and vegetables of the week yesterday! Waldorf salad. I also delayed eating my spinach for so long 'cause I was _too lazy_ to wash my dishes! Anyhow, let's see what Wheight Watchers is all about!

 
At 7:09 AM , Blogger Mich said...

Testing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home